Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November 16, 2013 Brunch – PPI Egg Foo Young

November 16, 2013 Brunch – PPI Egg Foo Young

Last night we made Salmon Stir Fried Rice with the PPI Fried Tofu and vegetables and Grilled Teriyaki Salmon.  We had a container of it left, so this morning I made one of my favorite dishes; Egg Foo Young.  I simply stir fried the salmon and fried rice mixture in a wok to heat it and then added two stirred egg whites to which I had added 1 Tbsp. of sweet soy sauce and 1 ½ tsp. of Chinese Rice Cooking Wine and poured that over the heated rice mixture

I let it cook a bit more than usual due to several things I was doing, so the edges actually darkened a bit more than I usually like, but that allowed the center of the mixture to stiffen a bit more than usual.  The difference between French Toast that is hard in the middle versus soft and a bit gooey in the middle.   I usually take it off the heat when the crust is a golden brown, so the middle is a bit softer.  Still this slightly over cooked one was very delicious, especially with the sliced green onion garnish.
 
 
We bought a bag with 8 steamed buns stuffed with BBQ pork at Ta Lin the other day for $5.99. I became hungry a bit around and 2:00 and since we were planning to go to the 3:15 showing of  “Blue is the Warmest Color” and I knew it was a three hour movie, I decided to try two of the Buns.  I cooked them by using the microwave alternative method of placing them on a plate and covering them with saran wrap and heating them at high heat for 2 minutes.

The method worked well but their skins were a bit tough.  I shall try the original method of steaming them over water in a steaming basket next time. 

I made a dipping sauce by stirring tamari soy sauce and a miniscule dab of Bea’s Chili Willie Chile sauce, which is a potent chili in oil.  

The Steamed Buns were delicious.  I stripped off their skins with my teeth, but ate them by dipping them in the hot sauce.  Then I really enjoyed the soft inner core of steamed bread and BBQ dipped in the hot sauce.

I enjoyed the actin in the movie, but we both had several issues with its plot. 

After the movie we discussed going out but finally decided to go home and eat some PPI lasagna.  It was better than before.  PPI’s can be great as they sit and the flavors integrate.  We drank PPI 4 Grape Blend Rosé.

We watched some football and went to bed early after a full day of activity.

Bon Appétit  

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment