Wednesday, July 24, 2013

July 23, 2013 Lunch – La Salita Dinner – Eggplant Mapo Dofu

July 23, 2013 Lunch – La Salita  Dinner – Eggplant Mapo Dofu

Billy arrived home from the Candy Lady, where he observed an inspection of the premises around noon and I gave him some suggestions for lunch.  He decided on La Salita when I mentioned that it made the best chili rellenos I had ever eaten.  We dropped my bike off at the Bike Coop for an adjustment and stopped at the bank to cash a check, so we arrived at La Salita after 1:00 and it was nearly empty.  I immediately noticed a new item on the menu; “Build your own plate”, which charged $11.45 for any three items with slightly higher surcharges for the naked turkey relleno and the Swiss cheese stuffed relleno.  My favorite is the Swiss cheese stuffed relleno on a bed of turkey meat.  Since Billy does not eat rice and beans, the “Build Your Own” option was perfect.   We ordered three Swiss cheese filled chili rellenos with garnish and chopped onions on the side and chose green chili sauce.  The waitress served the platter with the three chili rellenos and an extra platter that we used to divide the three rellenos between us.  We each took some of the garnish and I took the onions.  Billy asked for extra tomatoes and the waitress brought that also.  It turned out to be a perfect meal for us because we are concerned about too many carbs. I think the total cost was around $13.86.
We then went to Ta Lin to buy a few items for dinner.  I bought Billy a bottle of Santa Fe Olé green chili sauce and a 1 lb. package of shitake mushrooms, a package of shredded wood ear, a 19 oz. tub of medium tofu, and two 7 oz. cans of pimientos.  Then we went home by way of the bike coop.
At 6:00 I started cooking dinner.  Billy and I cubed the large eggplant I had bought at Sprouts ($.99) yesterday, one large onion, and 1 green Anaheim chili pepper and we peeled and chopped up three small heads of garlic (about 2 Tbsps.) and Billy sliced two boneless pork sirloin chops (about 1 lb.) into 1 x 1/4 inch long slices and sliced about 1/3 lb. of shitake mushrooms into thin slices and I thinly sliced and diced about 2 Tbsp. of diced fresh ginger.  I then heated 4 Tbsp. of peanut oil in the large wok and added the meat and garlic and ginger and added 1 large tsp. of garlic chili sauce and stir fried it until it changed color from pink to grey.  I removed the meat and added the large bowl full of diced eggplant, onion and green chili and stir fried that for about twenty minutes until it was soft, while I went to the garden and picked some Chinese Kale and chard leaves.  I stopped de-stemming the leaves and ran to the kitchen when Suzette said she smelled something burning and found that the vegetable mixture had scorched on the bottom of the wok for lack of liquid, so I added the meat back with its oily residue and then added the mushrooms.  I took the bowl which had held the meat and ginger and garlic and filled it with about three cups of hot water and then added Knorr chicken stock to t to make a chicken stock and added about 1 oz. of the dried shredded black wood ear and added that to the wok and covered the wok.  I then diced about 5 oz. of tofu and added that with the de-stemmed kale and chard and 1 Tbsp. of soy and 1 tsp. of sesame oil and 1 Tbsp. of Chines Rice cooking wine and covered the wok to let it cook at a rolling boil for another twenty minutes.  I then uncovered it and let it simmer for another ten minutes.  The liquid was very soupy and although Billy liked the soupiness, I decided to thicken the sauce.  So I mixed until smooth 3 heaping tsps. of cornstarch in a bowl with 1 tsp. of sesame oil, 1 Tbsp. of soy and 1 Tbsp. of Chinese Rice cooking wine and 3 Tbsp. of water. I added that to the wok and cooked it about five minutes, until it colored the sauce a slightly brown color and the sauce seemed to thicken a bit.  Suzette heated the PPI rice from last night’s PPI Curry meal and set the table in the gazebo and we took plates of rice and mapo dofu and glasses of lovely green tea ice tea Willy made to the gazebo in the back yard and enjoyed a pleasant dinner al fresco.  All agreed that the dish was a success but I know the dish was a success because Billy returned for seconds.  It was a very loose stew with lots of liquid.  I put a little salt in but you do not need to because the garlic chili sauce has salt in it, as does the Knorr Chicken stock.

The sauce was delicate and had that characteristic perfumed aroma and taste that I find so agreeable in the Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking Cookbook; probably due to not over using the cooking wine and soy.

Bon Appétit

        

   

No comments:

Post a Comment