Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 5, 2012 Dinner – Stir fried Pork and Mexican Squash

January 5, 2012  Dinner – Stir fried Pork and Mexican Squash

Suzette was working late at the restaurant and so I was free to cook whatever I wanted.

I cooked my traditional stir fried Chinese dish started by gathering up all the odds and ends I could find in the fridge.  They included: a shitaki mushroom, a hand full of sliced bamboo shoots, several water chestnuts, about two Tbs. of fresh ginger, two cloves of fresh garlic, about ¼ cup of yellow onion, ½ cup of sugar snap peas.

I have a normal method for stir frying Chinese food.  It is to heat peanut oil in a wok and then add the minced garlic and ginger and then about 1 tsp. of sesame oil and after a minute add and stir fry the hard ingredients (onion and squash) until they soften and then each softer ingredient, until everything is cooked.  After everything is in I usually add the following flavorings to the stir fry: more sesame oil, Chinese rice cooking wine, soy sauce or in this case, mushroom soy and stew the mixture a bit.  After everything has cooked a while and I am ready to eat, I make a thickening sauce made with corn starch, sesame oil, soy sauce or mushroom soy, water and, in this case for this dish, I added about two Tbs. of Oyster Sauce.

The result was a thick almost dark, creamy sauce.  Since the dish was mostly squash, I did not cook any rice and ate the dish with a cup of green tea.

Bon Appètit


   

No comments:

Post a Comment