Friday, August 23, 2019

August 23, 2019 Lunch – PPI Swedish Meatballs and potatoes and lingonberry preserves Dinner- Tuna, Scallop, and Salmon Sashimi with Sushi Rice, Avocado, and pickled vegetables


August 23, 2019 Lunch – PPI Swedish Meatballs and potatoes and lingonberry preserves  Dinner- Tuna, Scallop, and Salmon Sashimi with Sushi Rice, Avocado, and pickled vegetables

A really diverse international food.day.

I ate an American breakfast of two sausage patties, two eggs and sauteed slices of Vidalia onion and two slices of a whole wheat dinner roll with butter and boysenberry jam.

I drank tea and then at 8:45 we drove to an estate sale in the north valley.  We soon found a table and chairs for Willy’s apartment, a few tools for the garden, a ceramic olive oil dispenser and some lamps and a cake serving set.

I went home and worked until 11:45, when I went to the court to get a transcript of a hearing and then the bank and then drove to Sprouts.

I had a thought last night that I would eat raw fish with sushi rice and the pickles I made yesterday to see if it seemed more Japanese like, since that seemed like a very traditional Japanese meal.
  
At Sprouts I bought a 1 lb. piece of fresh salmon for $6.99/lb., an 1 lb. aji tuna steak for $10.00/lb., and a pound of sea scallops for $9.99/lb.  Today was the first day of the 72 hour sale and Sprouts olive oil was on sale for $5.99/liter bottle.  It is my favorite olive oil.  It is Spanish extra virgin oil.  I also bought chocolate covered almonds for $3.99/lb., green beans, Jasmine rice for $.99/lb., a cucumber for Suzette’s gazpacho, six ears of fresh corn for $1.00 and 2 lb. of large 16-20 count shrimp for $11.98.    

At 5:30 I started cooking the Jasmine rice.  I made 1 ½ cup of.rice by heating about 2 ½ cups of water with a tsp. of dashi seasoning to add some fish and kumbo flavor and then I made the sushi seasoning with 2 T. of sugar, 2 T. of rice vinegar, 2 tsp. of salt, and a splash of water and then heated it in the microwave to melt the sugar into solution.  When the rice was ready in 35 minutes Suzette folded the sushi seasoning into the rice.  It was exactly the way I like sushi rice, moist and lumpy.

I started slicing the tuna, salmon, and seven of the scallops. There was a lot of fish.  I sliced only about 1/2 of the salmon and had 8 nice scallops left for another meal after slicing eight scallops that filled a plate with the tuna steak also.  Suzette wanted avocado with the meal so she sliced up an avocado.

I heated the last of a bottle of sake in a pitcher in a water bath in a small enameled sauce pan and poured cups of warm sake for each of us.  I also filled two dipping bowls with soy sauce and put in pieces of wasabi.  We then filled two small bowls with pickles and two rice bowls with sushi rice. I fetched the pickled ginger from the fridge and made a cup of green tea and we were ready to eat.  Here is a picture.




I called Willy earlier to tell him we were eating sushi and he came by at 8:15 to play clean up on the sushi.  He loved the tuna, as we did, but did not eat the scallops or all of the salmon and tuna. I put the remaining fish into a bowl for an omelet tomorrow morning.

This was the best, most economical sushi dinner I have ever made.  The fish cost less than $30.00 and I have ½ lb. of salmon and ½ lb. of sea scallops left for another meal and lots of sushi rice.

After dinner I ate some clafoutis and later a few chocolate wafer cookies with a cup of green tea and sat with Willy as he ate as much of the dinner as he could.

It was an awesome evening of eating.

After dinner Suzette and I thawed and boiled 16 jumbo shrimp to take to Taos for Suzette’s Birthday breakfast Sunday morning.  Suzette also brought home some fresh tomatoes that she made into gazpacho with some red bell pepper, and cucumber, and I made cocktail sauce for the shrimp by mixing catsup, Long’s Pennsylvania horseradish, and fresh lemon juice.

The other thing that was great today was that the house was selected for another few scenes of the Briar Patch TV series. This will be inside shots so we will be provided a hotel room for the night before and after the shoot, so as not to be in the way.

The news cycle was depressing including an over 600 point drop in the Dow and a drop in the price of il, and a drop in the interest rate yield curve, as Trump claims we are doing a great job of making China stop harming our economy as he and China put tariffs on each country today totaling $375 Billion of goods.  My portfolio and probably everyone else's portfolio lost more than 2% of their value today. The NASDAQ was down 3%.

Trump says America is winning in its trade war with China, although all the economists say, "No one wins a Trade War."


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment