Sunday, August 11, 2019

August 10, 2019 Breakfast New Recip – Egg Foo Young Conglomeration, Lunch – PPI Deconstructed Pesto Chicken Pasta. Dinner – Zinc

Another good day of food starting with breakfast.  I had not made this dish in thirty years but today I had all the Ingredients and then some.

Egg Foo Young Conglomeration

I call it an egg foo young conglomeration.  It is lots of appealing ingredients sautéed with brown rice and egg.  Today’s was perfect.

I sautéed until the color changed about two or three oz. of Jimmie Dean Sausage in a large skillet and then added about the same quantity of brown rice, then a tsp. of Sesame oil and 2 tsp. each of Chinese cooking wine and soy sauce to add some liquid to the pan, then one large mushroom sliced, then two green onions rings sliced thinly, then soft tofu diced, then mung bean sprouts and finally four eggs whisked.

The result is a light tasty, highly nutritious meal for ant time of the day.

Suzette joined me for breakfast and liked the dish and when Willy woke up he ate the rest that I had stored in the fridge and he really liked it.

I rode five miles south at 9:00 after Suzette left for work.  I then worked a bit.  For lunch at 12:30 I heated some of the Deconstructed Pesto Chicken Pasta from last night’s dinner in the microwave covered with Saran and drank a glass of Pecton Bay Marlborough,  New  Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  Lunch tasted better than dinner did, perhaps because the second heating better amalgamated the favors.





I rested and read after lunch and when Suzette arrived a bit after 2:00, we both took a nap until 4:30.

Suzette then worked in the garden while I did a marathon session with AOL to change my subscription services to add more security protections for essentially the same cost per month.  My AOL session lasted several hours until 7:45, at which time we drove to Gruet and had the daily tasting menu, which was a couple ounces each of Rose Sauvage, 2012 Blanc de Blanc (my current favorite); Blanc de Noir Extended Tirage (which tasted even better), still Chenin Blanc (which tasted like a bad bottle so we changed to Petit Meunier (which tasted wonderful), and finally 2014 Reserve Merlot made with grapes grown in Washington at Precept Winery properties supervised and produced by Laurent Gruet.  For more information on the joint venture of Gruet and Precept see https://www.winebusiness.com/news/?go=getArticle&dataid=135620

We left a couple of minutes after 9:00 and drove to Zinc for a late dinner, very French.  We had eaten there after a symphony earlier this year with Cliff and three weeks ago I ate there with George and Sylvia.

Almost every menu item is served in a small or large configuration for different prices.  After the waiter explained the quantity differences between small and large, we ordered a large Smoked Trout with Potato pancake, which meant we received two pancakes and a larger scoop of seasoned smoked trout melange on a puddle of black truffle oil.  This is my current favorite appetizer because of the truffle oil.  Being the sauce freak the I am, I requested and was brought a small ramekin of truffle oil to fully moisten my half of the dish.

Suzette wanted two appetizers, the Smoked Trout and a sautéed chicken sausage lettuce wrap. I

ordered my all time favorite Zinc appetizer, a small duck confit egg roll, which meant one egg roll cut
in half, rather than two the large sized portion.  I also ordered my current favorite entrée, lamb
tenderloin served with gnocchi, fresh fava beans, and an asparagus strudel in the small size, which our waiter explained meant 5 oz. instead of 7 or 8 oz  We then tasted wines, Suzette ordered a glass of Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier White blend and I ordered a glass of Kermit Lynch Cotes du Rhone red.  In reality we shared everything, sipping the White with the chicken sausage wrap and smoked trout appetizers and the Cotes day Rhone with the duck egg rolls and the lamb tenderloin entrée.

Here are Zinc’s menu descriptions

Mediterranean Chicken Sausage Lettuce Wraps

$11.00
Pickled red onion, mushrooms, Tucumcari feta in Boston bibb cups, with tzatziki and balsamic-fig sauces




Crispy Duck Confit Eggrolls

Served with peanut curry and chile-lime dipping sauces
  • $12.00
  • $8.00
 






Smoked Trout & Potato Pancakes

Crème fraîche and black truffle vinaigrette


Simultaneously we were brought all three appetizers.





The large smoked trout

The Duck Confit Egg Roll was just that, an deep fried egg roll stuffed with duck confit and served with small dishes of house made sweet Chile and ginger sauce and a small dish of honey curry sauce.  I love the duck egg roll and the sauces.  I remember the first time I ate Zinc’s duck egg rolls.  It was a tasting party hosted by Southern for its newly acquired client, Trimbach Winery in Alsace, France.  The event was held in the mezzanine dining area and the restaurant prepared trays with at least 100 duck egg rolls and large bowls of the sauces.  I can’t recall how many duck egg rolls I ate at the party because I lost count, but it was an embarrassing number, I am sure.  I then bought about $1,000 of Trimbach wines, brandies, and liquors that I think were being offered at a 30% discount from wholesale, which was about ½ of retail.  The discount was precipitated by the fact that Trimbach had broken its former association with Constellation Brands and Southern must have taken over Constellation’s entire Trimbach inventory that it was trying to push out of its warehouses.

Suzette was full after eating ½ of her half of the smoked trout potato pancake and 2 of the three chicken sausage wraps.  She boxed the rest of the smoked trout appetizer and most of her piece of lamb after loving the sautéed fava beans. Gnocchi, and asparagus strudel.


Suzette’s finger pointing at the asparagus strudel


I powered through my ½ of the egg roll, the smoked trout and potato pancake by adding lots more truffle oil sauce, one of the three chicken sausage lettuce wraps, and the lamb entrée by ordering an additional small ramekin of the blueberry Demi-glacé sauce to sauce the dense rich meat .

Dessert was out of the question, so we sipped our wine to finish our meal and drove home, arriving at 10:45 and falling into bed after a full and pleasant day of work, rest, and food.

Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment