Friday, July 1, 2016

June 30, 2016 Asparagus and ham Frittata at Ioana’s, Lunch – Cesar Salad, Jack Westman Memorial, Dinner – PPI Miso Noodle Soup, and Book Club at Ken’s

June 30, 2016 Asparagus and ham Frittata at Ioana’s, Lunch – Cesar Salad,  Jack Westman Memorial, Dinner – PPI Miso Noodle Soup, and Book Club at Ken’s

Today was busy. I revised Bill’s Brief in Chief and Steve’s Settlement Offer from 4:00 to 6:00. I slept until 7:49, then showered and dressed and drove to Aaron’s house and jumped into his truck and he drove us to Ioana’s house north of Paseo del Norte just west of Tramway, arriving at 9:08, just 8 minutes late.  Roland was already there.  Ioana had set out a platter of raspberries, blackberries, and beautiful Rainier Cherries.  Soon she made frittatas of asparagus and ham and made coffees for Roland and Aaron and a cup of Matcha ginger tea for me.  At 9:30 we had a teleconference with Romanian lawyers regarding a new venture.  Ioana is Romanian. We had a short strategy discussion and Aaron and I left at 11:00.

I got home a bit before 12:00. At around 12:20 I decided to make a Cesar salad with the PPI Cesar salad dressing I made Tuesday and the last head of romaine lettuce.  I could not find the croutons, so I sprinkled the top of the salad with fried onions.

I then drafted a new Purchase agreement for the sale of the California property, signed it and sent it to the title company and Johal and spoke to Mohan about the transaction.

At 3:00 I went to Bill’s office and waited until Sally finished the corrections and copying of the corrected brief in chief.  At 4:00 Bill and I drove to the Court of Appeals and filed the Corrected brief and returned the record proper and exhibits. 

We then drove to the Marriott at Louisiana and I-40 and attended a memorial service for Jack Westman.  Many of the leaders of the business community were there.  When it ended at 5:30 I drove Bill back to his office and then went home.  I ate the last of the Miso Noodle Soup at 6:00 and when Charlie arrived at 6:30 I drove us back up the mountain again north of Tramway, but up the hill at Live Oak to Ken Gillen’s house near the National Forest boundary.

Ken had chosen several nice wines.  His strategy, which I commend, is to buy wines rated over 90 points for between $10 and $20, mostly at Costco.  Both a 2013 French La Playe from Maradin and the Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon were delicious.  There was cheese and crackers, carrot sticks, grapes, guacamole, roasted nuts and several candies, including some nice chocolate covered cherries I liked.

We discussed “Ghost Soldiers” by Hampton Sides and many other tangential topics.  We all agreed that the history of the Bataan Death March, Imprisonment of the Americans and Filipinos for three years, and their rescue on January 30, 1945, was compelling stuff.

At 10:00 we drove home.

Bon Appetit


1 comment:

  1. Your day was indeed full, Bob. It took me awhile to realize that the 4:00 to 6:00 time period for revising the Brief in Chief and the Settlement Offer were a.m. type times, vice p.m. This equates to an 18-hour day, with less than 2 hours sleep. But I love your activity level - you are Living Life Large!

    Hope we hear from Hampton Sides, but regardless I already look forward to our discussion of Kit Carson in November. Now get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete