Tuesday, May 17, 2016

May 14, 2016 Dinner - Stir Fried Pork with Snow Peas, red Bell Pepper, Chard, and Water Chestnuts

May 14, 2016 Dinner - Stir Fried Pork with Snow Peas, red Bell Pepper, Chard, and Water Chestnuts 

We arrived home at 7:15 from Quebec City

We went to the garden to see how things faired in our absence.

The peas we had planted were full of peas, so we decided to pick the 20 to 30 snow peas and pole beans that had grown in our absence.  We had no food in the house and no plan for dinner.  Then I got an idea for dinner to make a stir fry with the peas, some of the prolific chard, with some onion, pork, and water chestnuts.  I minced one large clove of garlic, a quarter sized piece of ginger. Then Suzette defrosted one pork chop and I diced it into ½ cubes. Willy and I made rice with two cups of water to one cup of rice cooked covered on low heat for thirty minutes.

While the rice was cooking I diced 1/3 red bell pepper and opened a small can of sliced water chestnuts.  I stir fried the ginger and garlic, then aded the pork and cooked that until the pork changed from red to white in color.  Then I added the bell pepper and onion and finally the water chestnuts, peas and chard that Suzette had de-stemmed.  I added 1 T. Chinese rice wine, 1 tsp. sesame oil, ¼ tsp. of salt, ¼ tsp. of sugar, 1 ½ tsp. of soy to the mix and covered the wok to let things steam a bit.   

When the rice was ready I added a thickening mixture of 1 T. of soy, 2 T. of Chinese Rice Wine, 1 T. of cornstarch and 3 T. of water and we scooped rice and then the stir fry mixture onto plates and ate dinner with green tea.

We felt great that we had put together an interesting meal in short order using the bounty from our garden. 

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment