Friday, December 18, 2015

December 17, 2015 Lunch- PPI Noodle Soup, Dinner – Turkey Sandwiches

L
 December 17, 2015 Lunch- PPI Noodle Soup, Dinner – Turkey Sandwiches

I spent the day at home working on filing a pleading in the Lower Rio Grande Water  Adjudication case, so I was happy to have some of the PPI Noodles left from yesterday’s lunch to eat.

The same can be said for dinner.  Charlie called and said he had come down with some illness that prevented his attending book club meeting, so I needed.to drive. Luckily, Luke returned with my car at 6:15, so I was able to drive my car to the meeting.

I had not prepared a menu for dinner in anticipation of eating snacks at book club, buy was pleasantly surprised when
 Suzette
came home around 5:30 with a hankering for a turkey sandwich.  I fetched the roasted turkey from last night’s meal and sliced several slices of white meat for Suzette and some dark meat for me, while Suzette toasted slices of French baguette and sliced some slices of avocado and tomato and fetched lettuce and mayonnaise from the fridge.  

We also fetched the container of dressing from the fridge and made wonderful turkey sandwiches.  I felt I was channeling the Pilgrim experience when I left for the book club discussion on Nathaniel Philbrick’s history of the settling of Plymouth Plantation in 1620.

When I arrived at Mike Blackledge’s house I found a table filled with lots of interesting snacks, including turkey jerky, guacamole, English toffee, and a very interesting fried flour tortilla chip dusted with either red or green chili powder, plus three kinds of cheese, Genoa salami, English water biscuits, and a scrumptious dessert of a lava like cake from Whole Foods.  

I drank a Pinot Grigio and then a glass of Gallo burgundy with the dessert.  We had a lively discussion about the settlement of the Plymouth Colony and its relations with the indigenous Indians, whose assistance was sought in order to survive the first few winters and then slaughtered about fifty years later in order to grab their lands.

In seems like what started out as a flight from religious persecution turned into the all too common human tendency of the strong to annihilate the weak for the personal strong’s gain.  Alas, it the foundational history of our nation that unfortunately persists to this day, with suggestions from some politicians of flattening all the towns controlled by ISIS with bombs.

Bon Appetit 

P.S. Suzette ordered 54 sprigs of Eucalyptus for Christmas this year and I am sitting beside a vase of boughs whose fragrance permeates the area around it with a wonderful aroma of a eucalyptus foresQ

No comments:

Post a Comment