Sunday, December 13, 2015

December 12, 2015 breakfast – shrimp Omelet, Lunch – Posole, Dinner Gemelli Pasta with PPI meat and mushroom sauce.

December 12, 2015 breakfast – shrimp  Omelet, Lunch – Posole, Dinner Gemelli Pasta with PPI meat and mushroom sauce.

We started out today wanting an omelet.  We decided upon a shrimp omelet, so I thawed and peeled 10 large Malayian shrimp (Albertson's $5.99/lb.) and I decided to use the Old Windmill Dairy Thyme infused softened goat cheese.  The omelet was fabulous,especially since Suzette cooked it to just short of firm so the ingredients ran into each other a bit in a loosely congealed manner.  Suzette made a Bloody Mary and I opened a bottle of Nassa Albariño and drank a glass of the smooth white wine from Galicia Spain (close out at Quarters. When I went to Quarters Friday evening after picking up my bike at the Bike Coop, I bought the last three bottles of the Nassa Albariño at the ridiculous price of $2.99/bottle.  

At lunch we finally finished the Posole.

For dinner we decided to try to make a dish of pasta like the Bolognese pasta we ate at Scalo on Thursday night where they mixed the sauce with the pasta to make a homogeneous dish of sauce and pasta.  Our meat sauce had chunks of meat, mushrooms and tomatoes and although Suzette mentioned that we needed to run the sauce through a blender to smooth it out to get the totally integrated texture, I decided against that.  Instead we heated the sauce in its pot and I boiled a pot with about 4/5 of a lb. of Gemelli pasta and steamed 10 stalks of asparagus.  When the pasta was cooked to soft, I cut the Asparagus into 1 inch lengths an d Suzette stirred tomato, meat and mushroom sauce and the asparagus pieces into the pasta, while I opened one of the bottles of 2011 Gaetano Di Aquino Chianti Riserva I bought at Trader Joe’s on Thursday for $5.99.   The chianti was very smooth and its light fruity flavor complemented the slightly tart flavor of the pasta dish perfectly.  




One of the things I noticed and liked about the mixed together pasta dish was that it had a more integrated cohesive flavor which minimized the the acidity of the tomato flavor and created a more integrated texture an flavor.  

After dinner I ate a few Lindt Lindor as we moved dressers in the back bedroom and watched TV.  I finished reading The Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick for my book club.  




I also spoke to Billy about the book this morning as we were making plans to go to a Ridge Winery sponsored wine dinner on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 when he, Elaine, and Rebecca visit us for the Taos Winter Wine Festival.

Here is the proposed wine dinner menu as advertised in Local Flavor this week.  




Later in the evening I opened the fruit cake I had drenched with Bacardi gold rum and ate a couple of pieces of it.  It was a little gooey, but the cake was moist and the fruit softene



Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment