Friday, March 16, 2012

March 15, 2012 Lunch – La Salita Dinner- Stir Fried Chicken with Mushrooms and Bok Choy with Mu Shu Sauce.

March 15, 2012  Lunch – La Salita  Dinner- Stir Fried Chicken with Mushrooms and Bok Choy with Mu Shu Sauce.

I have been wanting to go back to La Salita 1217 Eubank NE to try its Chile Relleños ever since I tasted its green chili sauce at lunch with Mike Verhagen several months ago.  So when Mike said, “You choose where to go for lunch.” today, I said La Salita.  Even though he said had been there yesterday, he gladly said, “Sure”.

I ordered the 6) CHILE RELLENOS ”LOCAL FAVORITE”
Our chile rellenos are stuffed with cheddar cheese and
hand dipped per order in our “signature” batter and fried
until they are crisp golden brown. .....................$11.85

The Chile Rellenos are a house specialty and are served with beans and rice, one sopaipilla and your choice of red or green chile.  You can substitute papas for beans or rice. Lettuce and tomato garnish upon request.

The Number 6 with two rellenos and a double order of beans, turned out to be more than I could eat but I finished the two chile rellenos and most of the beans and lettuce and tomato garnish.  In my opinion, La Salita’s Chile Rellenos are the best I have ever tasted.  They are fixed fresh to order, so their “signature batter” is thick and has a panko like crispness.  Their delicious green chili sauce is served in a puddle under the Chile Relleño, so it does not dampen the rellenos’ crisp fried batter crust.   The chiles were deseeded, so there were no seeds to deal with, just chile flesh, cheddar cheese and batter for a more uniform texture.  La Salita’s chicken stock based green chile sauce is the perfect sauce for a chile relleno.  La Salita’s motto is simple is better and I could not discern much more than green chile and chicken stock and a little garlic and salt in the sauce.

La Salita has formed a company named In the Mix Foods, LLC to market its artisanal red and green chile sauces and its salsa.  The salsa tastes like a combination of the green and red chile sauces.  Although I was completely full after plowing through two rellenos, I had to try the sopaipila, which is also highly recommended.  The sopaipila was also among the best I have ever tasted; fully inflated with a thicker wall of soft pasty like dough on one side and a thinner crisper wall on the other. The sopaipila held its shape when I added honey to it and was as close to a true pastry like experience as I have had with a sopapila in a long time. La Salita was full of people with folks in its small waiting area when I arrived a little after , so it is not a hidden secret.  A quick survey of the internet indicates a multitude of glowing reviews. La Salita is my new favorite Mexican restaurant in Albuquerque and the best for chile rellenos ever.

After lunch and an appointment I went shopping at Ta Lin and Sunflower market on my way home at At Ta Lin I bought a gallon of Japanese naturally fermented Soy Sauce, oyster and enoki mushrooms, fresh ginger, hoisen sauce and baby bok choy.  At Sunflower Market I bought portabella mushrooms and organic English peas for a pea puree that Suzette has mentioned recently. 

I usually shop for ingredients a day or two ahead of the meals we cook, but tonight was an exception, because I wanted to use up the PPI roasted chicken Suzette had brought home from the Green House Bistro and Bakery last week.  When Suzette came home around , we discussed dinner and I said I was thinking about making stir fried chicken with some of the bok choy and mushrooms I had bought in a Mu shu sauce like we made for the Mu Shu dish last Saturday night.  She said “Okay, I will help cook.”  This is one of the first times Suzette has cooked a stir fried dish.  So I started removing the chicken from the carcass and chopping it.  After about ten minutes as I started chopping the bok choy, Suzette wanted to start the stir fry so, she said she would chop the garlic, fresh ginger and mushrooms and she took some PPI boiled basmati rice out of the fridge and put it in a bowl and into the microwave for re-heating. .  After she had cooked a few minutes, I threw in the chopped and rinsed bok choy pieces and made the mu shu sauce with dark soy, rice cooking wine, hoisen sauce, cornstarch and little water and threw it into the wok and turned on the microware to e-heat the rice.

Viola.  After about twenty minutes of chopping and cooking together we had made a wok full of stir fried chicken with bok choy and three mushrooms in a Mu Shu sauce, which we were enjoying with a beer in front of the TV.

Bon Appètit


No comments:

Post a Comment