Thursday, March 1, 2012

February 29, 2012 Lunch – Noodle Soup Dinner – Steak with Mushrooms and Baked Delicata Squash

February 29, 2012 Lunch – Noodle Soup  Dinner – Steak with Mushrooms and Baked Delicata Squash

At around noon I put last night’s PPI 6 oz of scallop cream sauce with its last piece of scallop and lots of cooked spinach leaves into a pot with about 1 ½ quarts of water and added six shrimp and three fish balls, 1 tsp. of sesame oil, 1Tbs. of rice wine, 1 Tsp fried shallots, 2 scallions sliced thinly, 1 large Tbs of white miso, 1 Tbs. of fish sauce and two small wrapped packets of Korean pasta (chlorella flavor bought in a 300g.. green plastic bag at Ta Lin identified with the words “Hand Made Noodle Somyun”).  After a few minutes I took the fish balls and the scallop out of the water and sliced them into slices and put them back into the soup.   I loved the light fish flavored soup with a little lime and a drop of hoisen sauce and touch of shirachi red chili sauce with a cup of green tea.

Dinner was a tribute to the way we cook.  Suzette had a work emergency that she had to take care of and I had to meditate, so neither of us got home until almost   At around 5:30 p.m. after I rode my bike and before meditation I split one delicate squash in half lengthwise and filled the cavities with about 1 Tbs. of butter, 1 ½ Tbs. of light brown sugar and about 2 Tbs. minced red onion in a 375° oven for 25 minutes and left them in the oven with the temperature turned off when I went to meditate.

I called Suzette at when I arrived home and she said she was hungry and I said that I had cooked the squash and we had the steak ready to grill and she said she wanted to cook dinner.

At around , when Suzette arrived, I had just broken the bases off 12 stalks of asparagus and put them in the steamer and was starting to slice four portabella mushrooms thinly so they would cook more quickly and then I sliced 1 shallot and two cloves of garlic.  Suzette checked the squash in the oven and found that it was fully cooked and did not need any more heat, but we turned on the oven to about 300° to heat it.  She and I agreed to grill the rib eye steak and so she salted and peppered the steak, turned on the heat to high under the asparagus, and then put the steak on the grill, while I sautéed the mushrooms, garlic, and shallot with a pinch of salt, dried savory and dried tarragon in a large skillet with 1Tbs. of butter and 1 Tbs. of the garlic infused olive oil.  After about five minutes on medium heat I added 2 Tbs. of Amontillado sherry to the mushrooms and reduced the heat a bit and went to the basement cellar and fetched a bottle of Pennywise California Pinot Noir (Costco $7.89).  Pennywise Pinot Noir is the best value in Pinot Noir I have found in Albuquerque.  It is a clean, well made, flavorful pinot noir wine, excellent with steak

Amazingly, the squash was deliciously soft and cooked.  I may have discovered a new way to cook squash, because the old method of baking at 350° for about an hour seems to over cook it.

By about we were sitting in front of  our A quick and delicious dinner; lovely plates filled with one quarter of the baked delicate squash, slices of rib eye steak garnished with sautéed mushrooms in a sherry sauce and steamed asparagus and a glass of pinot noir.
.
Bon Appètit

No comments:

Post a Comment