Tuesday, August 8, 2023

August 7, 2023 Lunch - PPI Cassarecce Pasta with mushrooms, hamburger, and four cheeses. Dinner - Sautéed steak with mushrooms and shallot and Roasted Root Vegetables, garlic, and leek.

August 7, 2023 Lunch - PPI Cassarecce Pasta with mushrooms, hamburger, and four cheeses. Dinner - Sautéed steak with mushrooms and shallot and Roasted Root Vegetables, garlic, and leek.


I slept until 8:00 and then showered and dressed for my 9:00 appointment.


After the appointment at 10:30 I ate a bowl of granola with milk and yogurt and blueberries. 


Then at 2:00 I ate a plate of PPI Cassarecce Pasta with mushrooms, hamburger, and four cheeses. It was more delicious today than several nights ago as the cheese melted into a sauce that merged with the pasta, hamburger, and mushrooms.


                               The finished baked pasta dish several nights ago


Then I drove to Eye Associates in Rio Rancho to have by eyes checked and obtain a prescription for eye drops to treat an infection in my ryes.


When I drove back,I stopped at the new Sprouts on Coors that I like and bought a bunch of rapini, a 1/2 lb. bag of sugar snap peas, five white potatoes, two turnips, and one parsnip.


Then I drove to Walgreens at 5:45 and waited until 6:00 for the eye drop prescription to be filled. I took my I Pad with American Prometheus loaded in the Kindle app, so I read during periods of waiting at Eye Associates and Walgreen’s. The doctor said these drops have a steroid to reduce the swelling and an antibiotic to kill the infection, so I am hoping I will get past this infection in a couple of days


When I got home I made a gin and tonic and then began dicing two potatoes plus the two turnips and parsnip into large chunks and the white part of three small leeks into 1/2 inch rounds.


Suzette fetched a 13 x 9 inch Pyrex baking dish in which we put the diced vegetables plus five cloves of garlic and then Suzette tossed all the vegetables with olive oil and salt and covered them with aluminum foil and baked them at 350 degrees for 60 minutes..  She uncovered the vegetables when there remained 15 minutes of cooking them of the hour bake in the oven.


I then sliced five mushrooms and minced a shallot and stripped the leaves from the bunch of thyme that had been sitting on our dining table in a vase. Suzette then sautéed the thyme, mushrooms, and shallot those ingredients in an iron skillet with butter and olive oil and then added a small steak that I had thawed during the day and snapped and steamed a generous handful of sugar snap peas.


When everything was cooked Suzette added a dash of cognac to the skillet.


We had about 1/4 of the bottle of Charles Shaw organic Pinot Noir left from yesterday’s cheese ball fest, so I went to the basement and fetched another bottle and topped of the glasses and then sliced the steak while Suzette plated the Roasted Root Vegetables and sugar snap peas. 


Then we each selected our slices of steak and spooned sautéed mushrooms onto our steak.



Everything was delicious. I think we sometimes forget what good and creative cooks we are as we go through the repetitive motions of our everyday cooking..


For example, I have never thought of substituting leek for onion in the roasted vegetables but the leek cooked beautifully into soft rounds that melted in one’s mouth.  Similarly, i rarely add cognac to a dish, but it gives the steak a pleasingly subtle flavor of alcohol.  Suzette made both of these suggestions and they made dinner wonderful. I try to shop for complementary ingredients like tonight when I knew a green vegetable and roasted root vegetables would be a perfect complement to the steak and also the additional lamb shank we have in the fridge would go well with roasted vegetables and steamed and sautéed rapini tomorrow evening.


After dinner we watched the Antiques Roadshow and then Lawrence.


I ate slices of brie on a slice of buttered Bosque Bakery whole wheat bread with the last of my glass of wine and later some chocolate halvah with a cup of tea.


I tend toward the full French three or four course meal when we cook steak.


Suzette went to bed around 10:00 and I followed shortly thereafter.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment