Sunday, August 4, 2019

August 3, 2019 Lunch – Hot Dog at Costco. Dinner – Grilled Halibut with sautéed vegetables, mozzarella, and pasta

August 3, 2019 Lunch – Hot Dog at Costco. Dinner – Grilled Halibut with sautéed vegetables, mozzarella, and pasta

I ate two slices of bagel with cream cheese, sliced onion, sliced Gravad Lax, and capers.  Here is a picture.



I then rode 7 miles to Campbell Rd. and back.   I Watched soccer until 11:30 and then drove to Pastians where I bought a  dozen whole wheat dinner rolls for $.50 and then drove to Costco.  I decided to eat first and tried using the new food kiosk electronic ordering system.  I tapped the picture of the hot dog with drink for $1.50 and inserted my debit card and received a receipt for the purchase.  Before I had returned my debit card to my wallet and grabbed my receipt to present for my hot dog, the server put my order on the counter and left.  I walked the few feet to the pick up area of the counter, placed the receipt on the counter and picked up my hot dog.  Amazing entry into automated eating.

I then went shopping to see if I could find a Dungeness crab for a champagne breakfast.  I looked at the wine and found a Red Rioja Reserva La Gitana scoring 94 points for $11.99 on my way to the seafood.  When I arrived at the seafood booth I saw Dungeness crabs, but I noticed something even more interestingly, fresh Halibut for $10.99/lb.  I bought two pieces of Halibut weighing 1.4 lb. and a Dungeness crab.  I took my three items home and then drove to El Super to buy vegetables.  We need everything. I bought limes, large avocados, Persian cucumbers, lemons, red onions, cilantro, green onions, a papaya, Zucchini, a cauliflower, crema, a 15 lb. seedless watermelon, Granny Smith apples, and an eggplant, all for $26.00.

When I arrived home, suzette was resting after a successful lunch with music in the park at the Center for Ageless Living at which 26 members of the public joined the residents for lunch of green chili cheese burgers.

At 4:30 we discussed dinner and decided to grill the fresh Halibut and sauté the handful of PPI casarecce pasta with the PPI grilled asparagus and fresh, onion, green bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms, and tomatoes.

And that is what we did at 6:00.

Suzette lay the Halibut on slices of lemon and grilled it perfectly, so it was fully cooked but still held in matrix all its juices.  She has only grilled Halibut this well once before, so this time equaled the best.

The sauté was excellent also, producing a warm pasta salad of fresh vegetables and grilled asparagus.

As Suzette was cooking dinner I drank a glass of the open bottle of Adalina Bodega 2018 Verdejo, a new bottle at Trader Joe’s that tastes of light straw, as the tasting notes say, very dry and slightly acidic without much fruit, a rather good aperitif.  In fact, we left the last ounce or two out overnight in the open bottle and when I drank it Sunday morning as I finish this blog, it is no worse for having sat out, except it may have been a bit drier and better, but not bitter like vinegar.

I had chilled and, when the food was ready, opened the only Albariño sold by Trader Joe’s, a 2017 Luzada from Saines valley in Rias Biaxes  in Galicia in the northwest tip of Spain north of Oporto, Portugal.  We both liked its nicely balanced fruit and acid.  To my mind the Albariño grape is a lot like the Riesling grape.  It can be processed to the extremes from bone dry with no residual sugar to ultra sweet with huge amounts of sugar, such as the ice wines.  The trick is to find one that meets your preferred flavor profile and complements the food.  We both agreed that Luzada met these two tests and we should include it in our regular selection of Every day wines from Trader Joe’s.  In other words, it is a winner.  In fact both wines went into that category.  I loved the Adalina Verdejo as an aperitif over ice in the summer.






This was a memorable dinner because of the perfectly cooked Halibut and exciting new Albariño and sautéed fresh and grilled vegetables with pasta that made a perfect side dish.

After dinner I ate the rest of the meringue desserts from Chez Mamou and regretted it because they were not very good this time and added unwanted extra sugar.

We dosed as we watched re-runs of Father Brown and Death in Paradise while switching to the soccer match between the  US Women’s team and Ireland’s national women’s team, which the US won easily by a score of 3 to 0.

We got in bed at 10:00 and watched the opening SNL skit and then went to bed.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment