Wednesday, December 20, 2017

December 19, 2017 Lunch – Salad with Chicken. Dinner – Bratwurst baked with Sauerkraut, onion, and apple and steamed green beans

December 19, 2017 Lunch – Salad with Chicken.  Dinner – Bratwurst baked with Sauerkraut, onion, and apple and steamed green beans

I decided to get back now the health regimen with the usual yogurt, milk, blueberries, and granola for breakfast.

Then I made a simple salad for lunch with diced cucumber, tomatoes, chicken, and sliced red onion and radishes on a bed of romaine lettuce
Dressed with Cesar dressing.  I toasted a piece of whole wheat bread and spread some of the chicken liver spread Carole had given to me on Sunday evening.

Then I went shopping.  I went to Smith’s and bought an 18.63 lb. slab of rib steaks for $4.88/lb.. a whole salmon filet for $6.99/lb., and five 6 oz. containers of blueberries for $.97 each.  I also bought a 2 lb. bag of sauerkraut on sale for $2.29 to go with the three Bratwurst I thawed in the morning.

I then went to Talin to buy two small bags of dill weed for $.98 each.   Then I drove to La Montanita Co-op where I bought 6 whole nutmegs and a wedge of raclette Cheese.

I then drove home and put things up and then around 3:30 rode ½ way to Rio Bravo.

At 6:00 I started to snap a small bag of green beans when Suzette arrived.

Suzette took over and placed the three thawed brats in a large casserole and sautéed them with 1/3 diced onion, and 1 diced apple.

When the ingredients had softened Suzette added the 32 oz. of sauerkraut and covered the casserole and cooked all the combined ingredients for 30 to 45 minutes.  8 minutes before Suzette decided the brats were fully cooked she turn on the heat under the green beans to high so they would steam.

I fetched mustard, Long’s horseradish, mayonnaise, and catsup and beers.  When Suzette filled our plates with a brat and the sauerkraut, apple, and onion mixture we made sauces to dip the brat into on our individual plates.

I fetched  Modelo Especial and a Negra Modelo from the garage and we enjoyed beers with this very German meal.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment