Saturday, April 29, 2017

April 27, 2017. Penne Pasta with my mushroom meat sauce


April 27, 2017.  Penne Pasta with my mushroom meat sauce

Today I was very busy filing a motion and order to continue a hearing set for Friday, so I could get a motion filed upon Friday in an appeal.

Did have time to boil a pound of penne, which I watched carefully and got just right, not too al dente, not too mushy. It boiled vigorously on the large double burner for twenty minutes.

I also heated the Mushroom meat sauce I had made Tuesday evening and added a small handful of chopped fresh oregano and five or six basil leaves plus three diced Roma tomatoes bought at El Super on Wednesday.  I let the sauce cook most of the morning on a low simmer. At 1:00 I turned off the heat, loaded a bag with a bottle of Nero d’ Avola red wine from Sicily and the penne, put the bag and pot of sauce into the car, picked up Charlie at 1:20 and drove to Ron’s house for the Book Club meeting.  When we arrived Ron helped me heat the sauce and I microwaved the penne and everyone served themselves a bowl of pasta and sauce.  In fact the book club ate most of the sauce.  Everyone seemed to like it.

We had a good discussion about The Shape of Water, an Italian murder mystery set in Southern Sicily, so the wine and tomato mushroom meat sauce fit the story line perfectly.

Suzette arrived around 6:00.  I was still working and had not done anything about dinner.  Suzette looked into the pot and said she thought we could make a dinner with what sauce was left.  She threw a couple of handfuls of penne into the pot with the sauce and about 1/3 cup of requeson cottage cheese and heated it.

It filled two pasta bowls and I must admit that the dish tasted better with the addition of the cheese.

We opened a bottle of Chianti and had a great impromptu dinner.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment