Saturday, April 22, 2017

April 20, 2017 Lunch – East Ocean. Dinner – PPI Corned Beef and Cabbage with Zucchini


April 20, 2017  Lunch – East Ocean. Dinner – PPI Corned Beef and Cabbage with Zucchini

Today I started with a hot cup of Mexican coffee and Carnation hot chocolate to which I add a little heated milk.  A lovely way to start the day.

I called Peter Eller for lunch and picked him up and drove to East Ocean at 3601 Carlisle NE.  I ordered Moo Goo Gai Pan and Peter ordered Kung Pao Scallops.  Both were delicious.  There are seven or eight types of vegetables in Moo Goo Gai Pan, so it is my favorite dish when I am longing for vegetables (baby corn, water chestnuts, bok choy, bamboo shoots, snow peas, onion, one or two other vegetables).

It is always fun the go to lunch with Peter because of the far ranging conversations.  Today it centered on the migrations during the period preceding and after Charlemagne, particularly in and around Germany.

The new fact that I learned today was that there were Eastern Goths (oestergoths) and Western Goths (visagoths) and after the Western Goths sacked  Rome in 410,  the Eastern Goths, settled in Austria, “Oesterrich”.

We both knew the Western Goths continued their western migration and took control of the areas in Spain formerly ruled by Rome, until they were conquered by the Moors in the 700’s.
 
Dinner was serendipity.  When I arrived home I opened the freezer in the garage to see what was in it and a 32 oz. container of PPI Corned Beef and Cabbage fell out.  I took this as a sign that we needed to eat it for dinner so I took it into the house to thaw.

When Suzette arrived she completed the process by heating the cCorned beef in a pot.  Suzette asked me to dice up a zucchini squash to add some fresh vegetable flavor and texture to the stew.

I went to the garage and fetched the last two bottles of Shiner Bock beer, which we drank with dinner.  I also toasted a piece of rye bread and buttered it to eat with dinner.

We ate some vanilla ice cream after dinner.

Bon Appetit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment