Thursday, April 27, 2017

April 25, 2017 Lunch – East Ocean, Dinner – Grilled steak with Creamed Chard and onion and couscous with tomato.

April 25, 2017 Lunch – East Ocean,  Dinner – Grilled steak with Creamed Chard and onion and couscous with tomato.

In the morning ewe thawed the 1.8 lb. package of ground beef I had bought at Sprouts last Wednesday and two rib steaks.

I had to go to the podiatrist today at 2:00 so I started at noon by going to the bank,  then I drove to UPS and dropped off the return package of filters.  Then I drove to East Ocean and ordered my favorite dish, scallops in shrimp sauce with sweet and sour chicken.  The scallop dish was fabulous today; lots of fresh green opinion slices and small pieces of pork that melted into the egg and chicken broth sauce.

I the drove north past Paseo to Gruet and picked up my order of wine.  Kevin was helpful in substituting a still rose and a Brut Rose for the still Pinot noir and Demi-sec champagne.  Then I drove to the Podiatry clinic and arrived five minutes before my appointed time of 2:00.

I was finished by 2:30, so I went to Trader Joe's to replenish the every day wine.  I bought 2 Crayon Rose’s, 2 La Granja Viura/vermejo white blends, a chablis, a La Granja Tempranillo/Grenache blend, an Aquino Chianti, a Nero d’Avola Sicilian red, a new bottle of La Ferme Julien Rose’, 2 bottles of Cherry Blossom Pinot noir, a Barbera d’ Asti, a bottle of Valreas Cotes Du Rhonda, a Tuella Portuguese red, and a new 2010  El Principe Delaguardia red Crianza from Navarra.

I arrived home around 3:30 and watched Cramer at 4:00 because it was such a huge day in the market.

When Suzette arrive around 5:00 I began making a mushroom meat pasta sauce.  I diced 1 Vidalia onion and about 8 cloves of partially frozen garlic. I went to the garden and picked a handful of oregano and destemmed the leaves and minced it.   I then sautéed the ground beef in a large skillet   Then Suzette took over and sautéed the onion and garlic in a large pot with a couple of T. of olive oil.  When the onions softened we added two 15 oz. cans of tomatoes and 1 can of tomato sauce and the oregano and the drained cooked meat.

As that cooked I slices about ½ lb. of white mushrooms. I went back to the garden and picked about eight sprigs of thyme and de-stemmed the leaves and flowers.  Then I sautéed the mushrooms in 1 ½ T. of butter and 1 T. of olive oil and added the thyme to the mushrooms.  In a couple of minutes I saw that there was not enough fat to cook the mushrooms properly so I added some sweet Marsala, rather than more butter, which is what I usually do.

I then added the mushrooms to the sauce mixture and Suzette moved the pot to the lowest temperature burner on the lowest setting to cook the sauce slowly a little before 7:00.

We discussed dinner. We decided to make creamed chard to go with the grilled steaks.  Suzette texted Willy and told him we would have dinner ready around 7:30.  At around 7:00 I went to the garden and picked a large basket of chard, which I was still de-stemming when Willy arrived.  I then diced ½ of a Vidalia onion and began sautéing the onion in a large skillet.

Suzette then put the the two rib steaks on the grill.  She then added the chard to the skillet and  covered it and steamed the chard.  Willy and I decided to eat the PPI tomato couscous with dinner so we heated the container in the microwave.


Suzette then added half and half to the chard and I grated some nutmeg and added some salt and pepper onto the chard and we let that cook a bit longer to thicken the half and half into a sauce.

I poured glasses of a bottle of 2012 Columbia Crest’s Les Chevaux red blend produced in the  Horse Heaven Hills AVA in Southeastern Washington, which was given to us by the Palmers and garners a 90 rating by Wine Spectator.  The wine was a smooth
Blend: 59% Merlot, 36% Syrah, 4% Viognier, 1% Cabernet Franc
Alcohol: 14.5%
pH: 3.75
TA: 0.54 g/100 mL



When Suzette brought in the steaks, we covered them with foil to keep them warm and hold their juices until the chard was ready.  Then I sliced the steaks and we served ourselves the creamed chard, the Couscous and steak.  I put out a container of Bernaise  Sauce to dab on the steak.

The wine went perfectly with the beef.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment