Wednesday, February 22, 2017

February 21, 2017 Lunch – PPI Posole and Caesar Salad, Dinner – Picnic a la France

February 21, 2017  Lunch – PPI Posole and Caesar Salad,  Dinner – Picnic a la France

This was a light food day. An orange for breakfast.  I made a Cesar Salad for lunch with three or four Spanish anchovies, a diced Roma tomato, and ½ cucumber quartered and sliced.  I toasted two slices of Fano rye bread and melted slices of P’tit Basque cheese on them.  After eating the bowl of salad I heated the PPI Posole and are 1 ½ bowls of it.  At 2:00 I went to the bank, then filed an appeal in the Court of Appeals, and took the Von Hassler to Ari for conservation.  On the way home around 3:00 I stopped at Lowe’s and bought a gallon of milk, a package of Duo cream filled chocolate wafer cookies, similar to Oreos, and two quarts of tonic water.

At 4:30 I rode to Rio Bravo relishing the warm weather and extended period of light.  There were some Canadian geese still foraging in the fields.

I had no plan for dinner, but began thawing a swordfish steak when I returned home around 5:30.  Suzette was lying in bed watching TV and sipping a Scotch when I emerged from the shower.  She went to the kitchen and looked in the fridge and suggested, “Let’s have a picnic.”

So she took out the P’tit Basque and Iberico cheeses and a foiled wrapped packet of herbed Boursin and opened the cryovac sealed package of duck liver foil gras.  I cut an apple into slices and diced ¼ of a cantaloupe into pieces and sliced slices of Fano and Sprouts’ multi grain baguette and toasted them.  To complete the meal Suzette sliced the two cooked artichokes in half and grilled them while I refreshed the mayonnaise dill sauce with fresh lemon juice, mayonnaise, and French sea salt flavored with herbs Provence.

I opened one of the bottles of Tisdale Pinot Noir I had bought at Sprouts last week for $3.50.  It was a very light watery Pinot Noir, but clearly a Pinot Noir. Mi thought it went really well with the food, very drinkable.  Cheap and light equals drinkable in my opinion.  Suzette did not like it because it had zero character that a real red wine drinker admires, but for us food oriented people, it was perfect because it enhanced the flavor of the food without interfering with the food flavors.  It was better with the cheese and pate’ than the artichoke but that is a small negative for a cheap food friendly Pinot in my opinion.

The reviews are similar to mine.  It is rated 77 points and the average rating range is 3.3 ton3.5 with one rating mentioning that the wine tasted watered.  The only fact I found was that Tisdale is produced in Modesto, CA, so it is made with Central Valley grapes.

This the type of picnic lunch we would often eat in a hospitable winery’s garden or lawn in France.



We finished the meal with bowls of ice cream as we sometimes did in France.

Suzette’s grilled Artichokes were the stars of this meal, hot and juicy with just a bit of char.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment