Saturday, February 18, 2017

February 17, 2017. Lunch - Salad and cheesy toast. Dinner - Steamed Cod filet stuffed with spinach, steamed asparagus and PPI baked potato

February 17, 2017 Lunch – Salad. Dinner – Steamed Cod with Spinach and Asparagus and PPI Baked Potato

I ate granola, milk, blueberries, dried cranberries, and yogurt fot breakfast.  I feel like I am communing with Jim Cramer every time I do because he eats granola for breakfast.  Usually, as today I eat my granola as I watch him on Squawk on the Street on MSNBC.

Today by the way was an interesting day on the market.  The Trump rally is loosing steam and only special things seem to lift the market.  Well one of my/mother’s stocks was the. Focus of investor interest today.  Kraft-Heinz announced it had made a tender offer for Unilever, the large English/Dutch food and cosmetics legacy brands Company that owns such brands as Pond’s soap and Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream.

The market stayed mostly negative until the end of the day, when it went positive and my portfolio went positive by almost exactly the amount of the gain I realized on KHC of $9.01 per share.  It is always better to have a gain than a lost, no matter how unlikely or
 unexpected the source.

I was just starting to feel better by lunch after I started taking a cycle of antibiotics Thursday evening to get ride of the sinus infection and the weather turned balmy, so I decided to make a salad for lunch.  I made a super salad with a head of romaine, a diced Roma tomato 1/3 of a peeled and sliced cucumber, the last 3 oz. of Mexican Fresca cheese ($2.99/lb. at El Super) and a sliced ripe avocado dressed with Cesar Salad Dressing.

I also toasted a piece of multigrain baguette from Sprouts and added slices of Petit Basque cheese to the slices of toast and melted the slices in the microwave ove for 23 seconds at a power level of 7 to melt the cheese for lovel open face cheese sandwiches.
 I got busy after lunch with a new transaction for Rahim until 4:45 and the new business I am helping organize and was not able to ride.


Suzette had a root canal operation at 2:00 so she came home shot up with Novocain and rested while I worked with Rahim.

Suzette was feeling better by 5:30 to 6:00 and went to the kitchen to cook.  She decided to cook the fresh cod filet I bought at Sprouts Farm Market yesterday for $7.99/lb. in our new steamer oven stuffed with fresh spinach on a bed of  slices of fresh lemon and doused with sherry and dabbed with slices of butter.  Following the cooking instructions, Suzette cooked the approximately 1 pound fish filet for 21 minutes.

 She also steamed with the fish about 10 stalks of fresh asparagus.  To complete the meal Suzette heated two small PPI baked potatoes in the microwave.  I fetched a bottle of Chenin Blanc from Anjou that I bought at Trader Joe’s for $7.99 and chilled it a bit and fetched the sour cream for the potatoes.

While Suzette plated dinner I twisted the aluminum metal top and poured glasses of wine.  The cool but not cold chenin Blanc had that buttery floral flavor that we love about Chenin Blanc and was a pleasant complement to the fish.

The steamed fish had an absence of flavor very much as if it had been cooked by the soup vide method.  I could taste the delicate texture and flavor of the pure white cod as it broke apart into flakes.  Suzette captured the sherry and butter broth yielded by the steaming oven, which we used to douse the fish to give it a little more flavor.  The best bites were those from the parts of the filet that touched the lemon slices or were eaten with bits of spinach.  The fish was almost a textural experience; tender fluffy cod flakes with a very mild flavor.  I found it very interesting.  I can hardly wait to try steaming fish with slices of ginger, lemon, and green onion with a soy sauce.

I finely sliced two green onions to garnish the potato and fish and we slathered the potato with butter and sour cream and green onions.

I took another antibiotic and became drowsy and went to bed at 8:30.

So much for my exciting Friday night.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment