Tuesday, February 14, 2017

February 12, 2017 Hungarian Goulash, Dinner - Baked Potato, PPI Lamb Chop, and string beans. Posole

February 12, 2017 Hungarian Pork Goulash,  Dinner – Baked Potato, PPI Lamb chop, and string beans. Posole

This was an unusual day of food.  We got up and we watched the Sunday Morning news shows from 7:00 until 10:00.

At 10:15 I drove to El Super to do some grocery shopping. I ought brown onions at 3 lb. for $.99, Braeburn apples, bananas, pineapples, papaya, and Roma tomatoes at 2lb. for $.99, small avocados were 4 for $.99 and the thing we needed most was a loaf of whole wheat bread.  Limes were $.79/lb., but I bought about a pound of them. I bought a loaf of Bimbo Integral pan from Mexico for $2.49 that was cheaper than any of the locally baked whole wheat breads.  God bless Trump’s border tax threat.  It has driven the Mexican peso down to 21 to the dollar, thus reducing the cost of Mexican products in dollars.

I also bought a ½ lb. box of white mushrooms on special for $1.50.

There was a special on boneless country style pork strips for $.99/lb., so I decided to make pork Goulash and bought two strips.  I then checked the flyer again and saw that 6 lb. cans of  Juanita’s hominy were featured at $2.49, so I decided to make posole and bought 2 more pounds of pork strips.

It turned out that you had to buy two cans of hominy to get the featured price so I decided to pay the regular price of $2.99 for the number 9 can of hominy.

The whole bill was $25.00.

I drove home and found out that the only bacon we had was frozen.  Suzette had taken it out to thaw but it was still frozen.  When I mentioned that we had everything we needed to made Goulash or stroganoff for dinner Suzette said, ,”Why don’t we make Goulash for lunch?”
So that is what we did.  Suzette started boiling two types of twirled shaped macaronis while I diced a strip of pork, a Roma tomato, some onion, two of the white mushrooms.

Suzette then chopped a half of a PPI canned pimiento in the fridge and sautéed it with onion and the diced pork and tomato.  We added Spanish and regular smoked paprikas and then Suzette added sour cream and the dish was ready.

We drank water, as our systems were not up to wine yet.

For dinner, Suzette baked several russet potatoes that we slathered with butter and sour cream and chopped green onion.  I also ate the PPI lamb chop Willy did not finish and the last of the PPI tzatziki and string beans.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment