Monday, April 11, 2016

April 11, 2016 Breakfast – French Toast and sautéed Smoked Pork Chop, lunch – PPI Pork Confit Stroganoff and Penne Pasta, Dinner – Grilled Hamburgers with Roasted Vegetables and Salad

April 11, 2016 Breakfast – French Toast and sautéed Smoked Pork Chop, lunch – PPI Pork Confit Stroganoff and Penne Pasta, Dinner – Grilled Hamburgers with Roasted Vegetables and Salad

Willy offered to make me French Tipoast for Breakfast, so I took him up on his offer.  I sautéed a smoked pork chop and enjoyed a great breakfast with a hot chai.

We were not hungry, but decided to split the PPI Pork Confit Stroganoff with Penne Pasta at 1:45, before he went to the gym and I rode to Rio Bravo and back.  

After returning at 3:05 I rested until 4:45 and then started dinner.  I wanted to use up the last of the Brussels sprouts by making roasted vegetables with the sweet potato and carrots, garlic and onion. I went to the garden and found only a couple of small turnips.  I was disappointed with the beet and turnip selection but there was an abundance of salad greens, so I decided to make a salad to go with the hamburgers.  

I was picking greens when Suzette arrived.  I told her what I was doing and after I went back inside she stayed in the garden and picked another four turnips.  

Willy helped me clean the greens while I chopped the sweet potato, onion, the turnips, and Brussels sprouts and placed them in the new baking dish we bought at the estate sale on Saturday with about a dozen cloves of garlic.  Suzette tossed the vegetables lightly with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper and I covered them with aluminum foil and put them into a 350 degree for 30 minutes. I then uncovered them and baked them uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.  When the vegetables had 10 minutes left to roast, Suzette started grilling the hamburgers and three 1/2 inch thick slices of onion on the grill.  I toasted two hamburger buns and chopped tomatoes, ½ cucumber, and two green onions and added them to the salad greens.  I sliced slices of Manchego cheese which Suzette melted on top of the hamburgers and I adjusted the PPI blue cheese dressing to increase its volume by adding balsamic vinegar and olive oil and whisking it into a creamy consistency.  I then dressed the salad and when the hamburgers and roasted vegetables were ready, we served dinner.  Suzette wanted a good bottle of wine and suggested that we drink the Kermit Lynch 2013 Beaujolais she had brought home from the restaurant.  It was a good wine with the hamburgers and would have been a good wine with almost anything.  

  The Roasted Vegetables

  Suzette's plate without a bun

  My plate with a bun roasted vegetables and salad

  The Beaujolais 

We watched the Antique Roadshow and then I took and passed the New Mexico Alcohol Server’s Exam, while Suzette studied for a restaurant operator’s license.  

While we studied, Willy watched a PBS documentary on Jackie Robinson.  

I ate some chocolate covered peanuts after dinner, so stayed up and talked to Willy until 11:00.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment