Wednesday, January 20, 2016

January 19, 2016 Lunch – PPI stroganoff goulash, Dinner – PPI Fish soup

January 19, 2016 Lunch – PPI stroganoff goulash, Dinner – PPI Fish soup

Today was a busy work day.  I had agreed to be a witness in an arbitration at 1:00 so I grabbed a quick delicious lunch at 12:00 by reheating some of the pork stroganoff goulash from last night’s dinner laid on top of the last of the fresh spinach 

    The PPI Pork Stroganoff Goulash 

I had no special plans for dinner when I drove to Albertson's to buy milk at 4:45 but when I arrived at the Butcher’s block counter I saw large shrimp on sale for $5.99/lb. and fresh flounder on sale for $2.99/lb.  I bought 1 ½ lb. of shrimp and 1 lb. of Flounder.

Then I bought a family pack of 9 or 10 fresh chicken thighs on sale for $.79/lb. and stopped at the ice cream coolers and picked up another 1.5 quart container of Java Chip ice cream, which is a new favorite flavor.

Suzette did not arrive until 6:00, so I cleared out some of the old books from my office so Jose can paint the office and hallway next week.

Suzette helped me carry the last load of books to the dumpster.  After we dumped the books, Suzette suggested we check the fish soup in the garage before she locked the garage door. It was frozen, so we decided to eat the PPI fish soup with the addition of the newly purchased flounder and some of the shrimp.  I asked Suzette whether she wished to drink Sauvignon Blanc or Albariño with dinner.  When she said, “Albariño.” I went to the basement and fetched a bottle of the 2010 Nessa Albariño and we chilled it while I cut up the flounder and peeled the shrimp and Suzette heated the soup.

I had taken the foie gras and butter out of the fridge and sliced and toasted three slices of French baguette before going to the cellar and while I was in the basement Suzette made herself an open faced canapé of foie gras.  After I returned and put the bottle of Albariño in the fridge, I ate the two remaining pieces of toast smeared with butter and foie gras, while Suzette heated the fish soup and sliced more French bread and toasted it in our new toaster.  

I continue to marvel that our little neighborhood grocery store, Lowe’s now stocks duck and pork foie gras ($7.99 for an 8 oz. slice).  I heard our neighborhood is becoming trendy and now I have proof of that.  I can hardly wait until Paul Silverman’s new Silver Street market at the corner of Silver and 2nd opens.  

After the soup had reheated Suzette added the diced flounder and peeled shrimp to the soup and about ½ cup of additional milk.

Then an odd thing happened; the flounder disintegrated and turned to white mush.  Fortunately, the large deveined Malaysian shrimp were fine and cooked into plump tender perfect shrimp.  The soup turned into a white mush looked very unappealing but tasted like a high protein fish porridge.  Ugly, but tasty.  Here is a picture: 


The wine was delicious.  Light, slightly fruity with just a bit of tannic bite at the end.  Not the best, white wine I have drunk in the last week, but a great wine for the $3.99 I paid for the Nessa Albariñoq

I had a second bowl of fish soup and later had a cup of Earl Grey and a Dark Lindor chocolate.  We were in bed by 9:30 after a busy day of work.  Suzette has an 8:00 appointment in the morning.

Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment