Wednesday, October 21, 2015

October 19, 2015 Brunch – Polish Dog, Dinner – Stir fried Pork with Sugar Snap Peas, Yu Choy, and Bamboo Shoots

October 19, 2015 Brunch – Polish Dog, Dinner – Stir fried Pork with Sugar Snap Peas, Yu Choy, and Bamboo Shoots

It is really Fall.  Here is a picture of the changing leaves outside my front door.

I went to Costco at around 11:00 for medicine and stopped for my favorite inexpensive lunch, a Polish Dog and a drink for $1.50 plus tax.

I ate a little potato soup at 4:00 and started cooking dinner at around 5:30.

Stir Fried Pork, with Yu Choy, Sugar Snap Peas, and Bamboo Shoots

You I chopped 1/3 small onion, a quarter sized piece of ginger, four cloves of garlic, and five stalks of Yu Choy and put the white stems, with the just mentioned ingredients.  I chopped and put the green leaves into a different colander with a sliced mushroom.  I then diced 1 pork loin chop (Costco $2.99/lb.).

I made 1 cup of basmati rice with dried sliced shiitake mushrooms and Lilly flowers. 
 
I fetched sesame oil, peanut oil, soy sauce, Chinese rice cooking wine and oyster sauce and mixed them with 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 Tbsp. of, soy, 1 Tbsp. of rice cooking wine, 1Tbsp. cornstarch, 1 Tbsp. of oyster sauce, and a couple of dashes of sesame oil to make a thickening sauce.

I cooked the hard vegetable mixture first for about 2 or 3 minutes.  Then I added the pork and cooked it until it turned mostly gray, about five minutes.  Then I added the green leaves and mushroom.  After another minute I added the thickening sauce which thickened a bit too much, so I added some water to loosen up the gravy.  

The dish was a complete success.  The bamboo shoot threads almost softened to become a part of the sauce and coated the firmer pork and vegetables nicely.

The rice with the softened Shitake mushrooms and Lilly flowers also enhance need the total effect of the dish.  

I ate two plates, it was so delicious.  


Later I ate the PPI chocolate pudding with ice cream and a dash of Grand Marnier.

After the Antiques Roadshow I watched my new favorite show, “I’ll Have What Phil’s Having”. This week Phil went to Hong Kong. I love the fact that Phil calls his elderly Jewish parents and does a little part of the show with them every week.  This week he got his Dad to get up and do tai chi with him on Skype.  

At 10:00 I went to bed in a good mood. 

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment