Thursday, June 25, 2015

June 24, 2015 Dinner - Red Cooked chicken, Rice and fresh snow peas and asparagus

June 24, 2015 Dinner - Red Cooked chicken, Rice and fresh snow peas and asparagus

Today I went to Ranch Market around 3:00 for its weekly produce specials.  I bought limes (2 lb./$.99), 8 small avocados (4 for $.99), 2 manila mangoes (2 for $.99), onions (2 lb. for $.99), and bananas 3 lb. for $.99.  I also bought zucchini for our Italian meal on Friday night for $.89/lb., cooked ham for $1.79/lb., muenster cheese for the lasagna for $1.99/lb..  I then pushed my cart to the meat department to see if there were any specials there and found freshly butchered chicken thighs for $1.09 lb. I bought the smallest package I could find, containing six thighs.

I started cooking Red Cooked Chicken at 5:15.  Since the recipe is for a whole chicken, I halved the recipe and added several of the optional items.  Here is the ½ recipe I used today:

Red Cooked Chicken

1/8 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of sherry
½ cup of soy sauce
½ cup of water
4 slices of ginger
Three scallions cut into 1½ inch lengths
1 clove of garlic sliced in rounds
6 skinless chicken thighs 

I placed the liquids and other ingredients in my wok and brought the liquid to a simmer.  I removed the skin and fat from the thighs and placed them in the cooking medium and cooked them for 20 minutes on each side.  Then let them sit to cool.

When I returned home from meditation, Suzette plated up plates in the microwave with PPI rice and asparagus and added the last six or seven snow peas from our garden and heated them while I heated the dark reddish brown chicken in the wok.

We drank water and had a delicious although not very elegant meal.  I was happy to have a good hot meal after working all day and being able to relieve Suzette from cooking, since she had had a hard day of driving to Santa Rosa and back and working all day. The sauce that is made from the cooking juices is delicious on the rice and flavors it with a salty and sweet flavor.

And we have three thighs left for PPIs.


Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment