Saturday, June 20, 2015

June 19, 2015 Salmon Rolls with Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy and mushrooms

June 19, 2015 Salmon Rolls with Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy  

I had my favorite breakfast this morning; fresh orange juice, granola, tropical fruit salad, and Mexican yogurt.  It always reminds me of mornings spent on the patio of the penthouse at Bungalows Auzinko overlooking the beach and ocean at Sayulita.

Dee Simpson stayed for a couple of days.  Today I heated a can of pinto beans and some of the PPI pork and tomatillo sauce enchiladas for lunch.  I love this type of baked enchilada casserole and will  make some more this week, since we have lots of PPI pork in tomatillo sauce.

Suzette suggested rolling and sautéing the salmon in accordance with the recipe in The Wine Country Cookbook.  I suggested stir frying baby Bok Choy with brown mushrooms.

The salmon is easy to fix.  Suzette salted and peppered thin approximately 2 inch wide slices of wild caught Coho Salmon, rolled it in a tight circle and held it in the shape by pushing a bamboo skewer through the roll.  She then fried the rolls in a combination of peanut, sesame and olive until the outer edge of the salmon roll became crisp.

Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy and mushrooms 

I separated the leaves by cutting their attachments to the central stalk.  I then chopped the leaves, separating the thick white portions from the thin green portions, into bite-sized pieces.  I then chopped finely: 1 large shallot, 1 Tbsp. of ginger and 1 Tbsp. of garlic, and opened a container of small mushrooms ($1.99 at Ta Lin).

I heated 1 Tbsp. oF peanut oil with 1 tsp. of sesame oil and a few dashes of chili oil in a wok.  I then added the garlic and ginger and stir fried it at high heat for a minute.  I then added the white portions of the Bok Choy with the shallot and lowered the heat to medium and stir fried them until soft (about ten minutes).  Then I added the green portion of the Bok Choy and 1/3 of the packet of mushrooms (after having removed their tough dirty bottoms with my knife) plus 1 Tbsp. of Chinese rice cooking wine and 1 ½ tsp. of mushroom soy and another dash of sesame oil and about 1 Tbsp. of Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce.  I covered the wok and let the ingredients steam and cook for about 5 minutes until the salmon was done.



Suzette heated 1 cup of PPI basmati rice in the microwave. 

I then realized the vegetables had developed about 1/3 cup of liquid,so I decided to thicken the vegetables by dissolving 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch in a bowl with about 3 Tbsp. of water and 1 Tbsp of Chinese rice cooking wine and another couple of dashes of sesame oil and adding that to the vegetables.  Soon after I added the thickening solution and folded it into the vegetables it began to thicken the liquid, so I turned the heat under the wok off and we served the meal with a bottle of 2013 Belleruche Cotes du Rhone rose produced byM. Chap outlier (Cotes du Rhone Controlle).  I am guessing that I purchased the wine at Total Wine.  The rose was a perfect match in flavor to the salmon.  Not simply a complement, but a match in flavor.  Amazing.




We served the vegetables on a small pile of warm rice and laid the salmon roll beside the vegetables.



We ate in the garden and after 8:00 the music at the Zoo started and we listen ended to it.

I was enjoying the wine so much that I decided to eat some of the new Delice cheese Suzette had  bought at Costco today on a toasted piece of Fano baguette.  The creamy slightly acidic flavor of the cheese on the warm bread also went well with sips of the rose wine.




Bon Appetit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment