Saturday, February 8, 2014

February 7, 2014 Lunch – Noodles in Thai Red Curry Shrimp Curry soup  Dinner- Fried Oyster Poor Boys

Mike came by for lunch.  I made a great noodle soup.  I used instant dashi because I wanted to make a seafood oriented soup.  I added one large shallot and one large shitake mushroom and then I put in three different dried noodles; a bean thread, a rice wide noodle and two bundles of vegetarian noodles and four leaves of Napa Cabbage sliced thinly.

Then I put in four Pollack fish balls and thinly sliced three slices of Lebanon Bologna and put that.  When I looked for white miso I found PPI coconut milk so I decided to make a red Thai curry soup with shrimp.  I added four shrimp and 1 tsp. of red Thai curry with coconut.

Finally I sliced two green onions into thin slices and got out the Hoisen Sauce and fresh cilantro.  When Mike came around 1:00 we were ready to eat.

The coconut milk gave the soup body and flavor.  I loved it.




For dinner we decided we needed to eat the oysters I had bought on Wednesday.  This fit perfectly with my buying a French baguette from Fano Bakery on Wednesday.  Suzette and I looked for our mini-fryer but could not find and settled on using our electric fondue pot.  She filled the fondue pot with canola oil and then made a coating for the oysters of crushed bread crumbs using panko and a bowl of egg mixed with a bit of milk.  She dipped the Oysters into the milk and egg and then the bread crumbs and then dropped them into the hot oil to fry.  I found a large bottle of bread and butter pickles in the fridge and we decided to eat those with dinner.  Suzette made a tartar sauce with horseradish, mayo, lime juice and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.  Suzette fetched the lettuce from the garage and spun several leaves of it. When the oysters were cooked and drained of oil, I spread tartar sauce on toasted slices of baguette and then we laid lettuce leaves on the bread and topped them with oysters.  i ate mine open faced and Suzette ate hers like a true Poor Boy. We enjoyed the bread and butter pickles with the Poor Boys.
We drank beer with our simple and delicious dinner.


Bon Appétit 

No comments:

Post a Comment