Friday, February 28, 2014

February 27, 2014 Sautéed rib eye steak with twice baked potato and steamed Brussels sprouts

February 27, 2014  Sautéed rib eye steak with twice baked potato and steamed Brussels sprouts

Another unusual food day. 

I had a busy day of work and trying to close a transaction and making sure that the Candy lady was moving, but had time to go to Albertson’s and buy eggs, milk and six more rib eye steaks.   We had discussed, last night, the fact that because of Book Club at 7:00 p.m. we would need to make a quick and early dinner and since we had two PPI twice baked potatoes, I suggested that I buy more rib eye steaks since they were on sale at Albertson’s for $7.99/lb.; not as good a price as last week’s $6.77/lb. but still compelling for USDA Choice rib eye steak and make a simple dinner of steak potato and steamed asparagus, which met with instant approval.  Unfortunately, when I arrived at Albertson's the boneless rib eye steaks were $8.99/lb. and the bone in rib steaks were $7.99.  I still chose the boneless rib eye steaks but when I complained to the cashier and  showed him the add that said rib eye steaks were $7.99, he could not or would not accept the subtle difference in nomenclature between rib steak, which to me means a bone in rib steak and a rib eye steak which is always boneless.  Rather than argue or wait for him to call the butcher, as he suggested, I paid the $8.99/lb. price and went on with my errands thinking that such a grave mistake in nomenclature would never have occurred in the Fort Worth of my youth.   

At 6:00, when I reminded Suzette that Charlie was going to arrive at 6:40 p.m., we flew into action. We discussed grilling but Suzette decided that it was too windy to grill outside and we should simply saute the steak in a skillet and make a one pan dish.
    
We took one of the rib eye steaks out of the package and Suzette went to the fridge and fetched the two PPI twice baked potato halves and the bag of PPI Brussels sprouts and put them into the microwave and started heating them.  I sliced up a shallot while Suzette washed about a dozen baby portabella mushrooms.

When the shallot was slice and diced I put into a large skillet in which Suzette had added butter and the steak.  I then slice about five or six mushrooms and bagged the rest and put the mushroom slices into the skillet with the steak and shallot.  Then I went to the basement for a bottle of Cutler Creek Cabernet Sauvignon and opened it.

Suzette then said, “We need some liquid.”, so I fetched a bottle of red vermouth and poured about three Tbsps. into the skillet.  After another minute Suzette said, “We need a little more sauce, so I poured another two Tbsps. of red vermouth into the skillet and mentioned that we could add a bit more butter.  Suzette fetched another stick of butter and added about 1 Tbsp. more to the skillet.  Suzette checked the potato and Brussels sprouts and heated them some more and after another minute we were ready to eat.     

I poured the wine and got out steak knives and a fork and sliced the steak, while Suzette plated the potato and Brussels Sprouts and then we put slices of steak on our plates and Suzette garnished the steak with the mushrooms and sauce left in the skillet.

By 6:20 were ready to eat and I had finished most of my dinner by 6:40 when Charlie arrived.

I took a bottle of Whispering Angel Cotes d' Provence Rose (Costco $15.99) to the book club and those who drank it enjoyed it.  Ron served dessert at the end of the meeting of vanilla ice cream and Sara Lee triple layer chocolate cake with coffee.

We really enjoyed the steak sautéed with mushrooms, shallots, a bit of butter and some red sweet vermouth.  The addition of sweet red vermouth is an exceedingly easy way to make a flavorful sauce.  Try it, I think you will like it.


Bon Appétit  

No comments:

Post a Comment