Friday, February 14, 2014

February 13, 2014 Shopping and Stir Fried Pork with Baby Bok Choy and Mushrooms

February 13, 2014 Shopping and Stir Fried Pork with Baby Bok Choy and Mushrooms

Today I went shopping.  It is the produce sale day at Pro’s Ranch Market and I always find great produce there.  Today was no exception.  Limes were expensive so I bought sweet lemons (Meyer Lemons for $.99/lb.).  I also bought tomatoes ($.33/lb.), potatoes ($1.50 for10/lbs.), tangerines $.33/lb., onions $.50/lb., cilantro $.25/bunch, Radishes $.25/bunch, green chilis $.33/lb. and bean sprouts $.99/lb.  The prize was fresh sweetbread $2.99/lb. I have never made sweetbreads and it is one of my favorite meats.

After Pro’s I went to Albertsons for their Valentine’s Day sale.  I bought 2.25 lbs. of asparagus for $.99/lb., hot house cucumber for $.99 and six rib eye steaks for $6.77/lb.  All the meat at Albertsons is graded USDA Choice and the boneless rib eyes were beautifully marbled.  They were also selling bone-in rib eyes for $5.77/lb. and tenderloin for $9.99/lb., so it was a tough choice.

After I took the groceries home, I rode fifteen miles and returned about 5:00 to find that I had had a great day in the market with Facebook going up significantly to over $67.00 per share.  I bought it at $20.00 about a year ago, so I am a happy guy. Unfortunately, it is my best performing stock.

I watched the news until 6:00 when “Children of Men” with Clive Owens, Michael Caine and Juliette Moore came on and I turned it on.  Suzette came home and sat with me and watched the first part of it which I had not seen in some time until 7:00 p.m. when we both became ravenously hungry.  We discussed dinner and decided to make a pork and mushroom stir fry with the Baby Bok Choy and mushrooms I had bought at Talin a week ago.
I diced one lobster mushroom and two shitake mushrooms, a small onion and the bag of baby bok choy separating the white stalks from the green leaves.

While I was chopping, Suzette chopped up the two thawed pork chops and some garlic and stir fried the pork with the garlic and a teaspoon of garlic chili sauce.

Then she removed the meat and stir fried the onion and then the mushrooms and the white stalks of bok choy and then the green stalks.  During the process she added Chinese rice cooking wine, mushroom soy, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and Aji Mirin to make a lovely slightly sweet brown sauce.  I heated PPI rice and heated water for green tea. 

In just about fifteen to twenty minutes we were ready to eat a wonderful fresh Chinese meal.  Suzette is getting to be a great Chinese cook.  She has gained a sense of how the sequencing of ingredients is added and how to make a sauce in the wok.

After dinner we ate several raisin, cherry chocolate chip cookie I made yesterday for dessert with cups of tea.


Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment