Tuesday, December 24, 2013

December 23 and 24, 2013 Cooking Christmas Eve Dinner

December 23 and 24, 2013 Cooking Christmas Eve Dinner

I had decided to cook a ham for Christmas, especially since it was advertised for $.88/lb. at Lowe’s for a Cook’s pre-cooked shank end ham and $1.08 for a butt end ham. 
This year has been a misadventure with the ham, mainly due to the instructions on the package, which I attempted to follow.   Also, on the first attempt I failed to cover the ham with foil or bake in a covered roasting pan, as recommended.  After two and one-half hours at 350˚ I ended up with a charred piece of meat.  So I returned to Lowe’s and bought two more hams for $15.83 and was sure to cover the ham loosely with aluminum foil.  This time I disregarded the instructions slightly and cooked it for two hours at 325˚.  After two hours when I checked the ham’s internal temperature with a meat thermometer, both hams registered internal temperatures of 300˚.  So I have decided that the instruction to cook the ham for 25 minutes per pound, given on the package must be a ruse to make you buy more hams.

The larger of the two hams weighted nine pounds, so that would have been three hours and 15 minutes and another charred ham.  We usually cook our hams to an internal temp of 175 to 180˚, so I probably overcooked the hams by a half hour.  The good news is that any harmful bacteria are completely destroyed.
I guess I can resolve any guilt from overcooking the ham by the thought that I have cooked a safer ham.

If there is a moral to be learned from this experience, it is to put your faith in your meat thermometer and not to blindly rely upon the printed cooking instructions.
On the morning of the 24th we scored and glazed the hams with a lovely caramel, bourbon and mustard glaze and are cooking the hams a bit to give them a bit more flavor and crispness.

We prepped all the other dishes on Saturday and Sunday, including Suzette’s sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts and I made my chocolate French Baked pudding.  On Saturday Suzette made Mother’s Van Cliburn Shrimp mold, which is still one of my favorites.  Here is the recipe:

Just as Julia Child attempted to adapt French Haut Cuisine to American ingredients, Mother had a real talent for creating very exciting dishes from available ingredients, like canned tomato soup and gelatin with fresh vegetables in a shrimp mold.

There will be lots of cheeses and I bought rolls and baguettes yesterday, so we will open some red wines.

Today I will cut up some apples and pears to go with the cheese.

Susan is making pickled shrimp, cheese biscuits, red velvet cupcakes and Texas seasoned pecans.

I just spoke to Ed and he and Michele are making a sweet and sour bean medley.

I am finally looking forward to a lovely Christmas Eve party.

Bon Appétit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment