Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 11, 2013 Pro’s Ranch Market Pozole; Dinner – PPI Turkey Stroganoff

December 11, 2013 Pro’s Ranch Market Pozole; Dinner – PPI Turkey Stroganoff

During my 9:00 appointment at Kaspia, I was describing my Christmas Eve Open house menu.  When I mentioned the possibility of making posole, Trista said, “I love Posole.”  And I replied, “So do I.”
I had not had anything to eat when I left Kaspia a bit after 10:00 and had planned to go to Pro’s Market to re-provision today ,so I thought, If I get a bowl of pozole in the restaurant and shop I can  kill two birds with one stone.
 


 

 
When I arrived at Pro’s Ranch Market I went directly to the restaurant area, where you can often find interesting dishes such as BBQ's pig snouts.   Although the sign sitting on the counter offered free sample, I decided to not ample the BBQ'd pig snouts.
 
I ordered a medium bowl of posole, even though the price had increased from $3.99 to $4.99.  The medium bowl is large and I am never hungry after eating one.  Today the posole was cooked to perfection, but the meat was not cooked very much and still retained its firmness.  I had to get a knife and fork to cut it into bite sized pieces.  After adding a bit of guacamole salsa, chopped onion, dried oregano, and a large squeeze of lime from the free condiments buffet, I cut and ate my way through the entire bowl.   I must admit that the broth was infused with a lot of red chili, which is the Mexican way.  Although it did not prevent me from eating the posole, later in the evening my body made a very direct effort to eliminate the quantity of hot spicy food in my stomach, but I am fine now at 230 a.m., as l drink cups of hot chamomile and ginger tea with liberal squeezes of fresh lime juice.
After brunch, if that word can be associated with dining at Pro’s Ranch Market (although on the weekend Pro’s does serve a Mexican food buffet that includes Pozole and menudo), I began to shop.  I purchased 10 avocados (4 for $.99) the sale item that had attracted me to shop at Pro’s today, 5 lbs of yellow onions (4 lbs./$.99) a wonderful surprise, limes ($.99/lb.), a pineapple (2 lbs./$.99), 5 2 liter bottles of Canada Dry Ginger Ale ($.99/bottle), ½ gallon of Kern’s mango/pineapple juice ($2.99), a gallon of milk, ½ lb. of sliced cooked ham ($.1.99/lb.), ten flour tortillas for $1,49, and 1 lb. of assorted seafood that included clams, mussels, shrimp, octopus and a few other things like fake crab that I did not select ($4.99/lb.).  I have a good relationship with the fish monger in the fish department at Pro’s, if one can call him that and he hand-picked the specific items I wanted included in my pound assortment.  I finally got all of my stuff unloaded at the house by around 12:15.

At 1:30 a group of folks from Poulin Remodeling came to inspect the house for a proposed remodel.  Our plan is to open up the two walls between the kitchen and the den/T.V/casual dining area to make one of those kitchen casual dining and den areas that are so popular these days.   Our plan is conditioned on the stock market staying at its recent all-time high and maybe one or two other potential  favorable developments in my and Suzette’s financial condition during the next three months.  Here is a picture of the rendering of the plan looking at the kitchen from the den.  


By 3:30 the Poulin Remodeling crew had finished their extensive research and we had chatted about the additional issues, such as supporting the roof trusses when we remove the walls, and I decided to ride my bike because it was 40˚ and felt warm and sunny, compared to the last few days of freezing snowy weather.  I rode the ten miles to Montano and back.

When I arrived home around 5:00 Suzette pulling into the driveway.  After she carried food baskets into the house for her T.V. show appearance on Channel 13 Thursday morning, we discussed dinner.  Since I had to go meditate we needed to cook and eat by 6:45.  Suzette suggested Turkey Stroganoff, utilizing the bag of chopped turkey she had defrosted from the freezer compartment of our fridge last night.  We were out of fresh mushrooms, so I fetched a bag of dehydrated sliced oriental shitake mushrooms and a can of straw mushrooms and Suzette fetched the last of the bag of dehydrated Grand Bolitas mushrooms she had bought at the Taos Farmers’ Market in September and she rehydrated the mushrooms in hot water.   
While I sliced and diced 1/3 yellow onion and 1/2 red bell pepper, Suzette shredded several carrots from our garden.  I then fetched the last of the egg noodles and some casarecchi noodles and filled a large pot with water and heated it to boiling and Suzette added the egg noodles and a few of the cassarecchi noodles to the boiling water to cook them.  Then she sautéed in a large skillet the carrots, re-hydrated and straw mushrooms, the turkey and onion and then added some of the pasta cooking water, sour cream, salt and pepper, and a dash of heavy cream, to make a light sour cream sauce. 

Suzette then said, “We need some herbs to flavor the sauce”, so I went to garden to pick a few sprigs of thyme from under its protective canopy and a couple of sprigs of frozen marjoram and three garlic leaves and brought them back and Suzette stripped the leaves and I chopped the garlic leaves and we threw them into the stroganoff.  Suzette then said, “What about some of our fresh oregano growing in a pot in our dining room window.”  So I went to the pot in the dining room where I found the oregano growing prodigiously and snipped three of the longer stems with my fingers and brought those to the kitchen and stripped the leaves and chopped he leaves finely and tossed the oregano into the g sauce.  After a few more minutes of stirring and cooking, we were ready to eat.



At a little after 6:00 I went to the cellar and found a bottle of 2008 Marques de Riscal Rueda ($9.99 Whole Food in 2010) and we dished up the noodles and stroganoff.  The white rueda grape’s strong flavor also helped to cover up for some of the lack of flavor and complemented the heavy sauce in the dish. 
I must admit that making a dish with previously frozen turkey and dried and canned mushrooms creates a different flavor than using fresh ingredients.  I guess I would describe the taste as dead, without fresh flavor, but I also bet this is the way folks in Austria’s snowy winter prepared and ate this dish for hundreds of years.  They, like we, used what they had available, such as dried mushrooms and frozen meat.  The creamy sauce disguises some of the lack of freshness of the mushrooms and meat.

We must have made a decent stroganoff because both Suzette and I took seconds.  Finally, after a simple but hardy winter meal,  at 6:45 I left to go meditate.
Bon Appétit      

No comments:

Post a Comment