Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 6, 2013 New Fudge Recipe and Lunch – Japanese Kitchen and Dinner – PPI Crawfish Etoufée

May 6, 2013 New Fudge Recipe and Lunch – Japanese Kitchen and Dinner – PPI Crawfish Etoufée

I went with Robert Mueller to the Japanese Kitchen for Chirashi today.  He prefers their Chirashi because it includes Robert’s favorite, uni or sea urchin roe.
Sushi Items – Uni (Sea Urchin)

What is uni?

Uni (oo-nee) is the Japanese name for the edible part of the Sea Urchin. While colloquially referred to as the roe (eggs), uni is actually the animal’s gonads (which produce the milt or roe). Uni ranges in color from rich gold to light yellow, and has a creamy consistency that some love and is off-putting to others. It is nevertheless one sushi item that is in incredible demand around the world, which is reflected in its price. Sea Urchins are a rare treat for those who acquire a taste. Uni has a light, sweet, and somewhat briny flavor and is is usually enjoyed as nigiri sushi or sashimi. Uni is also sometimes served with a raw quail egg. Uni is also considered an aphrodisiac by some. It is harvested throughout the world, however the west coast of the U.S. has in recent years become one of the largest sources, and much of the harvest finds its way overseas to eager Asian customers. Each sea urchin contains five ‘lobes’ and the harvesting of the uni is a very delicate process as the meat easily falls apart. Uni is a somewhat seasonal item and is at its best when served from late fall through the winter, with December considered the best month by Japanese standards.
 I love all sushi about equally, so I gave him my uni because he treats the act of eating uni as a religious experience, probably acquired when he lived in San Diego.  I think I also came to a realization today about my Japanese Kitchen ordering technique.  Instead of saying I do not like the red snapper and mackerel, to which they simply eliminate those two items from the selection, I should ask if they will substitute yellow tail for those two items.  Unlike Azuma, Japanese Kitchen only includes one piece of each type of fish, except for two pieces of red tuna.  So I might get more yellowtail by effecting a substitution.  At Azuma, I have perfected my ordering.  Their menu states that the Chirashi Donburi lunch includes 12 pieces of seafood, so I designate the type and number of each seafood item: usually 4 yellowtail, 2 salmon, 2 super white tuna, 2 red tuna, and 2 octopus.
I like the Japanese Kitchen Chirashi very much because it includes more items including pickled umiboshi plums and it makes its sushi rice sweeter.  But it costs $4.00 more than Azuma, so I am ambivalent as to where I go.  
This evening I did not plan a meal so we started to thaw out Chicken Basil sausages from Sprouts and then when I fetched the PPI couscous and Crawfish Etoufée, we discovered that we had a larger quantity of Etoufée than we thought, so we each ate a bowl of it.  I added the PPI ingredients from the Bearnaise Sauce base to it when it was heating, which gave the couscous a decidedly vinegary taste.  Suzette thought it had gone bad until I explained what I had done.
Last week I saw an article in the latest issue of the AARP magazine that said that dark chocolate is good for you and I know that Suzette and I and Willy seem to be addicted to chocolate.  This discovery triggered a new theory that I am developing; that I can make a more healthy and delicious form of chocolate fudge.   
In support of this new theory, last Saturday when I went to Trader Joe’s I bought a Pound Plus bar of 72% Dark Chocolate and then I went to Lowe’s where I bought a can of evaporated milk and a 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips.   Here are the ingredients' wrappings.
 
After dinner tonight I decided to try my new recipe for fudge.  I used the standard Mr. Stover’s recipe, but substituted the 72% Dark Chocolate and reduced the sugar from four cups to two cups and used fewer pecans.  I also did not make the mistake of using condensed milk instead of evaporated milk.  
Fudge Recipe
1/4 lb. butter
4 cups of sugar
1 can evaporated milk 
Bring these three ingredients to a boil and boil for four minutes. 
Then take off heat and add a 1 lb. chocolate bar, 1 cup of chopped nuts, 12 oz. chocolate chips and ½ of a bag of marshmallows (about 6 oz.).  Then stir to combine all ingredients and spread in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and refrigerate until cooled and hard.
Tonight I noticed the evaporated milk and butter accepted the smaller amount of sugar more readily and it seemed to go into solution better.  The initial three ingredients boiled into a smooth thick liquid and the chocolate and marshmallows also seemed to going into solution more easily.  I tasted the leftover fudge on the sides of the casserole and it was smooth and not gritty like the last batch of fudge.  Also, it seemed super charged with a concentration of caffeine.  A small taste from the bowl gave me in a buzz.  According to Wikipedia, a Hershey bar of 45% chocolate has about ¼ the amount of caffeine as a cup of regular coffee.  Suzette tasted the fudge also and confirmed that I had overcome the biggest problem with the last batch, “It is not gritty.”
So I put the pan of fudge into the fridge to chill.  Tomorrow we will start official human experiments to determine the proper dosage and formulation of ingredients in fudge that will satisfy one’s addictive urge and enhance the anti-oxidant effects of chocolate without overdosing the body with toxic levels of sugar or caffeine.
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment