Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 28, 2013 Lunch –Salad, Dinner – Stir fried Pork with Broccoli, and Snow Peas

May 28, 2013 Lunch –Salad, Dinner – Stir fried Pork with Broccoli, and Snow and Sugar Snap peas

We have been eating much more from the garden lately.  For lunch I typically pick five types of lettuce and greens: Romaine, leaf lettuce, mburna, mustard greens and radicchio.  Today I added palm hearts, tomatoes, green onion and cheese to the salad mix and dressed it with my constantly reconstituted Cesar Salad dressing. 
We went to Costco after work so Suzette could shop for Santa Rosa and we bought olive oil, lamb chops, green castelverano olives, a box of baby portabella mushrooms, a case of beer and a bottle of Gruet Blanc de Noir champagne for ourselves.

When we came home around 7:00 we started dinner.  We went to the garden and I picked some of kale tops that had bolted in our absence, a handful of snow peas and sugar snap peas and six or seven garlic scapes.   Then I started two cups of water cooking with a bit of Knorr dehydrated chicken stock and a few sprigs of Senche sea weed and when it came to a boil I added 1 cup of basmati rice and reduced the heat to its lowest setting and simmered the rice for thirty minutes.
I then chopped 1/3 of an Anaheim chili pepper, five of the garlic scapes, 1 Tbsp. of ginger root, one head of broccoli into halved flowerets and the leaves of kale I had picked, one shallot, and three mushrooms, while Suzette de-stemmed the peas.  I separated the ingredients based upon cooking time: in one bowl the shallots, chili and scapes, in another the broccoli and snow peas and in a third the kale and mushrooms.  While the rice cooked for thirty minutes and I was chopping, we watched the amazing Carol King Gershwin Music Award ceremony concert from the White House on PBS.   I was blown away with Billy Joel came to the piano and played and sang “Loco-Motion” and more blown away when a wonderful black woman named “Saba?” sang and played “Natural Woman”).  I never knew Carol King wrote “Loco-Motion” or “Natural Woman”   
When the Carol King concert ended at 8:00 and the rice was cooked, I removed the rice from the heat and heated the small wok with 2 Tbsp. of peanut oil and a few dashes of sesame oil and then added the chopped garlic scapes, ginger and chili and shallot.  After a couple of minutes I added ½ lb. of ground pork and sautéed that for a minute and then added the broccoli and peas and some Chinese Rice cooking wine and mushroom soy sauce.  After a few more minutes, Suzette said the dish needed liquid and needed to be covered to steam the broccoli, so I added oyster sauce and hoisin sauce and more cooking wine and a dash of soy and Suzette added water and I added the kale and mushrooms and covered the wok.  We let this cook for about ten minutes, while I made a thickening sauce with 3 Tbsp. of water, 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce, 1½ Tbsp. soy, a dash of sesame oil and about 1 Tbsp. of rice cooking wine.   After the ten minutes the ingredients looked softened and we added the thickening agent and I immediately realized that it was too thick, so we started adding water at the rate of about 1/8 of a cup at a time several times until the sauce thinned into a smooth sauce from the congealed mass that it was.  It was dark brown and coated all of the ingredients. 
 
 

We opened two beers and scooped rice into pasta bowls and ladled spoonsful of the stir fry dish onto the rice and ate a delicious dinner on our patio, mostly from our garden.  The dish was a little dark and tasted of soy, so I knew had over soyed the dish, but I loved the consistency of the thick sauce and how it coated the food.  My goal was to imitate the dark thick sauce one usually finds in on Beef and Broccoli in a Chinese restaurant and I achieved that.  The dish had a wonderful umami taste and we did not crave any dessert.  
Bon Appétit       

No comments:

Post a Comment