Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 1, 2013 Dinner- Tamales and Beans garnished with greens, tomato, onions and avocado

May 1, 2013 Dinner- Tamales and Beans garnished with greens, tomato, onions and avocado

Suzette had dinner with the girls tonight and I did not want to cook, so I decided to heat up a couple of pork filled tamales from the freezer with some of the PPI beans we made for Willy’s party.   I diced 2 Tbsp. of onion and sprinkled it on the top of the tamales and beans and squirted four or five dashes of Cholulu red sauce onto the tamales and heated that in the microwave. 
While the tamales and beans were heating in the microwave, I went to the garden and picked two cups of fresh lettuce and greens and rinsed tem in a sieve and diced 1 vine ripe tomato and ½ avocado for the garnish.

When the tamales and beans were hot I laid the garnish on top in layers with the greens on top, rather than arranging it.  The result looked more like a salad than a plate of New Mexican food.  I had no interest in designing a presentation because I was going to cur up the salad and mix the garnish with the beans and tamales anyway.   I opened a bottle of Sessions beer to wash down my fresh New Mexican dinner.  The reason the dish looks so ugly is because after I cut up the lettuce and began eating, I found that the beans were not as hot as I liked, so I put the bowl back into the microwave for another minute of heating.

My new motto is “Looks ugly, tastes great.”  The fresh salad ingredients balanced the heaviness of the tamale masa and the beans.  The new motto will not displace this blog's main motto, which is "Leftovers can be made into fresh, exciting and delicious meals with just a little effort."  This meal is a great example of both mottos.

Suzette ate some of the beans when she arrived home around 8:00 p.m.  Everyone likes the beans.  I guess because they taste better as they are reheated repeatedly and the mirepoix cooks into solution.
After dinner I found the PPI chocolate chip brownie with coffee flavored whipped cream that Susan Palmer made for Monday evening's dinner and enjoyed it for dessert with the last of a glass of Cutler Creek Pinot Grigio.

The big TV seems to have died, so I am happy to have a new book assigned to read for Book Club, The Poisonwood Bible.

Also, this morning I went to Pro's Ranch Market and bought 10 avocados (5 for $.99), 10 large limes ($.99/lb.), 2 lbs. of yellow onions ($.59/lb.), a red onion ($1.19/lb.), a bag of imitation crab meat ($1.99/lb.), two 14 oz. bags of Michael's tortilla chips ($.99/bag), cilantro ($.33/bunch), green onions ($.50/bunch), milk ($2.68) and LaLa mango yogurt ($2.99 for 32 oz.).  I plan to make guacamole and a Mexican style crab and shrimp salad as appetizers or a cool light meal.

Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment