Friday, January 25, 2013

January 24, 2013 Lunch - Azuma Restaurant; Dinner - Chicken Curry, Rice and Salad


January 24, 2013 Lunch – Azuma, Dinner - Chicken Curry, Rice and Salad

What a great day of shopping at Pro’s Ranch Market.  Lots of things were cheap.  When I went I had an idea to slow cook pork chops or a pork tender with apples and onions in the Spanish tapa manner of José Andres with julienned squash and tricolored peppers but I ended up adding two additional recipes when I saw that there was a sale on 10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters for $.59/lb.; chicken curry and chicken enchiladas when I saw that asadero cheese was $1.99/lb., sweet potatoes at $.50/b. for the curry  and roasted green chili was $.99/lb..    

I bought 15 small avocados at 5 for $.99, 2 lb. of Mexican Squash for $.99, a 6.6 lb. log of asadero cheese for $1.99/lb., Roma tomatoes for $.50/lb., milk for $2.50/gallon, my favorite LaLa Mango yogurt was on sale for $2.59 per 32 oz. container, the 10 lb. bag of chicken leg quarters for $.59/lb., 2lbs. of roasted green chili for $.99/lb., a package of smoked Hormel pork chops for $3.99/lb. (so Suzette can make her artichoke heart, peas, ham and pepper tapa), and lemons for 3 lb. for $.99.  The only thing not on sale was onions, so I bought a 3 lb. bag of small onions for $1.69.       

After an hour of happy shopping and waiting in line for a couple of ladies with two baskets of food totaling $360 to check out, I drove happily home.  Willy helped me unload and after he took a shower, we went to Azuma for a lunch.  Willy could not decide what to order and finally chose his favorite, Sukiyaki steak with fried rice made on a teppan grill (11.95).  I also chose my favorite lunch, Chirachi Donburi ($13.95), which is 12 pieces of sashimi cut fish in a box with a layer of sushi rice on the bottom garnished with two slices of omelet and two slices of daikon pickle, a decoratively cut shrimp and some fresh shredded daikon.  I positioned us in a booth directly across from the sushi bar, so when our waitress was explaining my order to the sushi chef, I got up and went to the sushi slicing and eating counter and explained my order.  The chef spoke perfect English and said, “I understand.  I will take care of you.”  What comforting words.

He did take care of me.  I had ordered chirachi from this chef before and I knew he tends to cut shorter, thicker slices rather than longer thinner slices, which is okay with me, because I cut each slice into four bite size segments with a knife anyway.  Even with Willy eating several pieces of my raw fish, it took me about an hour to eat the rice and all the fish and trimmings.  I am convinced that Azuma provides the best value in sushi when one considers the totality of freshness, excellent quality of fish, and price.  I have discovered over the years that the sushi chefs and owners’ highest motivation is for you to have a pleasant meal and they do not care what fish you want to select in an assortment.  I prefer the richer, softer fish, such as yellowtail and super white tuna and do not like red snapper and mahi mahi and Azuma always will honor one’s preferences, if asked.  They want to serve you what you want, so you will be satisfied and return.  Of course, it can take a while eating sushi before you discover what you like.  For example I have a friend who loves sea urchin roe and the Japanese Kitchen serves that on its $28.00 dinner chirachi, so whenever we go for sushi, we always go to Japanese Kitchen and order the dinner chirachi.

Yesterday when Mike Verhagen and I went to La Salita for lunch, I invited him for dinner on Thursday.  After lunch I confirmed the invitation and offered him the choice of the three dishes and he said he did not care. So I went for an 18 mile ride on my bike where I met and rode with Barry on the way back home.  Before I had left to ride at 3:45 Suzette arrived and I asked her what she wanted and she said chicken curry, so I asked her to start boiling the chicken.  When I arrived home late at 5:30 because I had a flat, a large pot of chicken quarters was boiling on the stove.  Suzette said she was hungry and asked what she could do, so I said we need to chop up sweet potato, onions and apples.  Suzette immediately peeled the sweet potatoes and I fetched the apples and onions and then chopped up the sweet potatoes, onions and apples as she got out a large pot and heated butter in it and as I finished chopping  each ingredient she added it to the pot and sautéed it.  Then we stopped cooking the chicken and she added enough of the chicken stock to cover the ingredients and I added some curry powder given to us in October by Luke and we started simmering the curry.  While I was chopping Mike arrived with a large bag of salad ingredients from Whole Foods and a bottle of Justin 2009 Syrah.   Mike made salad, Willy made rice, I chopped up the rest of the apples and helped Suzette pluck the meat from the bones of the chicken after it cooled.  Then we threw the chicken into the curry and added salt and some Sun Brand curry powder, because Suzette said, “It tastes like it is missing something.  I could not think of what that ingredient was at the time but I now realize that it was raisins.  After adding more curry powder, I fetched coconut flakes and three types of pickle (an onion, a lime and a 5 ingredient pickle with mango, lime, lotus root stem and carrots) and we roasted some peanuts in a 400˚ oven to golden brown and Willy put out glasses of water and Suzette sett the table.

When the rice was cooked and Mike had finished making the salad, I made a simple vinaigrette with two crushed cloves of garlic, Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar, 1 tsp. Dijon mustard a dash of dried thyme and tarragon and olive oil and Mike dressed and tossed the salad and we poured glasses of the Justin 2009 Syrah that Mike had brought and sat down and enjoyed his salad with two types of lettuce, carrots, green onions, and celery.  Then Willy and I went into the kitchen and we first added two Tbsp. of flour to the curry and after that was stirred that in, we added about ¼ cup of heavy cream to lighten and smooth out the curry.  After another minute or two of cooking Suzette came in and said she were ready to eat, so we took the peanuts out of the oven  and we plated pasta bowls with rice and curry and I put a bottle of Major Grey’s mango chutney and the three pickle bottles, the coconut and the peanuts on the table.  It immediately became apparent to Suzette and me that the peanuts were rancid and should not be eaten, so everyone pushed their peanuts aside and we finished our meal by putting small piles of chutney and pickle on the side of our plates and mixing our curry with them as we wished.

The sourness and spiciness of different pickles is an interesting juxtaposition to the creamy sweetness of the curry.

Per Wikipedia:  
 South Asian pickles (Hindi: आचार, Urdu: اچار‎) are made from certain individual varieties of vegetables and fruits that are chopped into small pieces and cooked in edible oils like sesame oil or brine with many different Indian spices like asafoetida, red chili powder, turmeric, fenugreek, and plenty of salt. Some regions also specialize in pickling meats and fish. Vegetables can also be combined in pickles to make mixed vegetable pickle. Some varieties of fruits and vegetables [edit] Recipe
South Asian mixed pickle, containing lotus root, lemon, carrot, green mango, green chilis, and other ingredients

The most common South Asian-style pickles are made from mango and lime. Others include cauliflower, carrot, radish, tomato, onion, pumpkin, palm heart, lotus stem, rose petals, ginger, Indian gooseberry,[1] garlic, green or red chili peppers, kohlrabi, gunda (cordia), kerda, zimikand (purple yam), karonda, karela (bitter melon), jackfruit, mushroom, eggplant, cucumber, and turnip.

Bon Appétit

 
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment