Monday, January 21, 2013

January 18, 2013 Neighborhood Cocktail Party


January 18, 2013 Neighborhood Cocktail Party

I knew it was going to be a night that we did not want to cook a dish for the cocktail party, so I took out a 72 piece box of Nancy’s Petite Quiches t 2:30 p.m. when I finally got a moment to eat some salad for lunch.  I worked until after 4:00 and then rode until 5:20 p.m. and Suzette got home about then also.  She was happy to see we had a prepared dish to take and we baked the quiches in a 375 ˚ oven for the recommended 21 minutes at around 6:30 p.m.

We were the second to arrive shortly after 7:00 p.m. at Glenn Felty’s house.

 The best dish of the evening by far was prepared by Jennifer Bean. It was a plate of baked scallops surrounded by a wall of snow peas and topped with a Thai peanut sauce.

The most interesting conversation was with several ladies who played golf at the Albuquerque Country Club and who suggested that I looked like I could play golf well. I told them that I probably could because my father was an NCAA letterman on TCU’s golf team in late 1920’s but that when he graduated from Law School in 1933 he was not allowed to join  any of the country clubs in Fort Worth because he was Jewish an so I had never had any interest in joining a country club.  One of the ladies had left and the other lady said, That has never been a problem for me because I was adopted.”

That made me think for a moment.  I guess in the realm of heredity and socialization, that is the social equivalent of “less is more”.  

Which makes me think about the wonderful recent article on Danish TV’s popularity in England that rightly said that the Danish people are among the happiest in the world and surely in Europe.  Having lived in Denmark for a summer in 1968, I agree with the article’s assessment and reasoning that that is because the Danish do not classify and categorize and criticize for differences in people’s choices.  They treat all as Danish and that is the end of it, even though there are lots of differences at some levels, such as politics.

Suzette tired at around 9:00 p.m. and said she wanted to leave.  We said goodnight to our host and hostess and left in such a hurry that I did not take the time to sift through the stack of coats on a bed  to find my cap.

I awakened around 3:00 a.m. and watched a wonderful Norwegian made movie at 4:00 a.m. titled “Beautiful Country” about a one-half Vietnamese/one-half American child of a Vietnam veteran who leaves Vietnam in search of his American father starring a wonderful Vietnamese actor and Nick Nolte.  It seems like the movie channels schedule the best movies for 4:00 in the morning so there will be no interruptions.     

 Bon Appètit

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment