Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 14, 2013 Dinner – Hamburger steaks with PPI potatoes and Brussels sprouts


January 14, 2013 Dinner – Hamburger steaks with PPI potatoes and Brussels sprouts

At 4:00 I knocked off work to go to Smiths to buy some rib eye steaks on sale for $5.99/lb.  I really like the Smiths at the corner of Coors and Central, because it is near my old Westland office where I worked for 18 years and was where I shopped as my primary grocery store during those years.  I knew the butcher and the lay out of the store, etc.

So I had a déjà vu shopping experience, first going to the meat department and buying two flats of 4 rib eye steaks each, then to the dairy department where I found a gallon of Dreyer’s Double Fudge Brownie ice cream on sale for $3.99 and finally to the candy department where I found Toblerone chocolate bars for $1.25 each for the 100 gram bar.

When I got home, Suzette was ready to cook hamburgers, so I thinly sliced mushrooms and a small yellow onion while she poured out the last of the Valreas Côtes du Rhone and began drinking red wine and ground the chopped chuck beef more finely in the Cuisinart and formed two large patties. 

While Suzette sautéed the large hamburgers in a skillet in a bit of butter and olive oil with the onions and mushrooms, I fetched the butter lettuce from the garage and sliced a tomato and prepared a plate of tomatoes and lettuce leaves.  Then I fetched the mayonnaise and catsup and a bottle of Cutler Creek Cabernet Sauvignon from the basement wine cellar.

Suzette took the PPI Brussels Sprouts and onions and the PPI roasted potatoes and shallots and garlic and combined them in a pyrex baking dish and heated them in the microwave and then took the last of the Huntsman cheese (an English cheese made with alternating layers of Stilton and Cheddar) from Christmas from the fridge and laid a slice of it on the hamburgers and covered the hamburgers with a skillet lid to melt the cheese. 

In about twenty to thirty minutes we were ready to eat our lovely dinner.  We each piled hot vegetables and a hamburger, mushrooms and grilled onions onto our plate and then garnished the plate with fresh lettuce and tomatoes and a slather of mayonnaise and a splash of catsup for a delicious dinner.  I guess I have eaten this type of dinner so often in my youth in Texas that I did not get indigestion later from it. I did have an additional slice of cheese and a glass of wine after dinner to digest the cheese and put those all-important enzymes into my stomach.

Bon Appètit

No comments:

Post a Comment