Saturday, June 23, 2012


June 21, 2012 Dinner – Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Sautéed Mushrooms and Baked Potato and Asparagus

Sautéed Mushrooms

6 large mushrooms, sliced

1 Tbsp. Butter

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 tsp. fresh thyme

¼ cup Amontillado Sherry

1 large shallot, chopped

 This meal is a good example of how I shop.  On Sunday when we went to Costco we purchased rib eye steaks for $6.99/lb.

Then on Thursday I knew I wanted a steak dinner, so I stopped at Lowes on Lomas on my way home from the Courthouse and purchased a 5 lb. bag of Russet potatoes for $.99 and a bunch of green onions.

When I arrived at home around 3:30 p.m. I put three potatoes into the oven and roasted them for one hour at 400˚F.

When Suzette got home she put some olive oil and salt on the potatoes.  She then grilled the steak and I steamed the asparagus and sautéed the mushrooms, shallot and thyme in 1 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.  There was not enough oil to cook the mushrooms quickly, so after they cooked for a few minutes, I added about ¼ cup of amontillado sherry and stewed them a bit.

When the mushrooms and steak were cooked we plated up the dinner by slicing the steak into ¾ inch thick slices and garnished the slices with sautéed mushrooms.  We put butter and sour cream on the potatoes and garnished them with sliced chives.  This is my favorite way to eat steak.  We drank a bottle of Gott 8 Cabernet Sauvignon with the meal.  The wine was smooth and very food friendly.

Bon Appétit


No comments:

Post a Comment