Saturday, August 22, 2015

August 21, 2015 Dinner- Roasted Chicken, Blanched Green Beans, with mushrooms and onion, tomato salad.

August 21, 2015  Dinner- Roasted Chicken, Blanched Green Beans, with mushrooms and onion, tomato salad.

At around 8:00 I rode south to Rio Bravo and back.  Here is a picture of the Sandias in early morning:



The most momentous event of the day was the over 500 point drop in the Dow.  The stock markets dropped by approximately 3.2% today, after shedding about the same amount over the last three days. It it pretty depressing to watch your net worth drop by 7% in a couple of days.  It is the type of sickening experience,we saw in 2008, but without the reason for the drop, which is even more vexing.

I had a had a doctor’s appointment at 11:15 that lasted until 12:25 and then went to see Bill Turner to discuss the Gila case, and eat lunch but Bill was eating when I arrived so I shared his roasted pecans. Mi was not very hungry when I arrived home at around 1:30, so I made myself a salad of lettuce, cucumber, green onion, cheddar cheese, fresh oregano from the garden, and a sliced tomato, garnisheed with croutons. 

When Suzette called at 5:00 and offered to bring home a roasted chicken I gladly agreed.  I snapped the green beans I had bought at Sprouts last Monday and sliced a crimini mushroom and a bit of yellow onion and put the three ingredients in a pyrex bowl with about 1 Tbsp. of Vietnamese fish sauce I had made a few months ago.  

Suzette arrived home a bit after 6:00 after a very long hard day of work in which her Mustang was stolen and she may have no insurance for it.  So we both were depressed over significant losses today.  She went to the garden to pick a basket of tomatoes and then she made a lovely creamy dressing with mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar and olive oil while I sliced several tomatoes.

We plated the green beans, tomatoes garnished with the mayonnaise dressing and hind quarters of the chicken, poured glasses of Leese-Fitch Sauvignon Blanc from Sonoma County California and went to the gazebo in the garden to eat.  Later I returned to get the rest of the bottle and picked up the container with the two truffles from the Brazilian confectioner we bought at the Railyard Farmers’ Market last Sunday.  Everything was predictably good, except the Brazilian truffles, which were exceptional.  We had purchased one orange garnished with Macadamia nut threads and one Passion fruit truffle for $1.80 each.  When we bit into them we found them to be fondant made with the fresh fruit.  We have never tasted anything like them and found them quite delicious, particularly with the fruity citrusy Sauvignon Blanc.



After dinner we played bocce for about 1/2 hour and I sat and watched as Mario took over for me and beat Suzette 8 to 4.  I was happy that he got to play and learn the game on the court he worked so hard to create.  He seemed to enjoy it and I was  happy as I heard him explaining to the dry wall crew in Spanish how the game was played. 

After a long day of unpleasant experiences, we went to bed at around 9:30.

Perhaps the ultimate irony is I am reading King Lear by Shakespeare for the book club and  seeing King Lear be humiliated and dis-served by his two older daughters after he gives them each half of England and impoverishes himself.

Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment