Saturday, April 11, 2015

April 9, 2015 Lunch 2nd Street Brewery and Dinner Marrakesh Vegetables with Roasted Lamb on Bulgur wheat

April 9, 2015 Lunch  2nd Street Brewery and  Dinner  Marrakesh Vegetables with Roasted Lamb on Bulgur wheat

We had to go to a hearing in Santa Fe today.   After the hearing ended I asked Bill and Sally if they would wait for me for a moment so I could see a Karl Benjamin painting at David Richard Gallery.  

Before I ran into the gallery, I said, “If you want to eat in Santa Fe, you pick the place.”

When I returned to the car, they both said they had decided on 2d Street Brewery.  So Bill drove around the corner of Guadalupe onto Peralta and turned into the street at the back side of David Richard Gallery and we parked in the Gallery’s spot in the parking lot across from the 2d St. Brewery.  I ran into the gallery and was given a 2 hour pass to park in their space and joined Bill and Sally in the restaurant. 

            Bill ordered a Cesar salad and Sally ordered a lunch special of a cheese sandwich and a cup of mushroom soup.  I ordered a Chicken Schnitzel plate that contained a battered and fried chicken breast laid on a mound of mashed potatoes with steamed and sautéed string beans and carrots on the side ($12.00).  Bills’ salad had real anchovies but also was garnished with a disgusting prepared salad dressing and no croutons or shaved Parmesan cheese.  Bill rejected it and ordered an order of French fries.  My lunch was adequate and served with a thick gravy made with mushrooms that was very nice, so I ordered two additional cups of the gravy to slather on the potatoes and enjoyed my lunch.  

The plainness of my meal reminded me of the Business man’s lunches served everywhere in the 60’s and 70’s for $1.25 to $1.50: a meat, a starch, and a vegetable, plus a roll and dessert and salad.  This lunch was ten times more expensive for less food; alas.

Suzette and I have been working really hard lately, so I have assumed the duty of cooking dinner.  My choice tonight was to utilize PPIs to make a one dish dinner.  Tonight was no exception but it turned out really well.  I cut up some PPI roasted lamb from last Friday night and heated it in the last of the Marrakesh Vegetable stew and made Bulgur Wheat.

Bulgur Wheat.

1 cup of No. 4 Bulgur

1 1/2 cups of boiling water 

1 Tbsp. of olive oil and 1 1/2 Tbsp. of buttetr

1/3 cup raisins

1/2 of a pasilla chili chopped 

2 Tbsp.s of sliced almonds

1/4 cup of diced onion. 

I saute the onion and Pasilla chili and then the bulgur in heated olive oil and butter until it starts to take on a golden color.

Then I add a large handful of raisins and the 1 1/2 cup of boiling water  and cook at the lowest heat for 30 minutes just like rice. 

We had a lovely dish of lamb in Marrakesh vegetables over bulgur. 

We put PPI tzatziki on the dish and I added a dab of Harissa, which added some more flavor.

I drank a mojito with lots of chopped fresh mint and Suzette drank a scotch with dinner.  


Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment