Friday, January 23, 2015

January 22, 2015 Lunch, La Salita Dinner, New Recipe Salmon Two ways with Mixed Pasta in a Spinach, cranberry and onion cream sauce

January 22, 2015  Lunch, La Salita   Dinner, New Recipe   Salmon Two ways with Mixed Pasta in a Spinach, cranberry and onion cream sauce

Mike called a bit before noon and invited me to meet him and Kathryn at La Salita for lunch.  I enjoyed seeing them and we made some tentative plans to visit them in Paris in May and have a dinner of aged beef next Monday evening.

I enjoyed my Lite Bite (1) Swiss cheese stuffed chile relleno with beans on a bed of stewed turkey.

After lunch I drove to Sprouts Farm Market to pick up some items.  There was a sale on Fresh farm raised salmon, so I bought a 1.1 lb. piece and then some mushrooms for a mushroom sauce for Monday evening and then some white potatoes to mash with garlic.  String beans were on sale for $.99/lb. so I bought some of them and spinach ($.99/bunch) looked great so I bought spinach and an eggplant ($1.25) land Roma Tomatoes ($.50/lb.)in case we wanted to make tomatoes Provencal.  Finally I saw that dark chocolate coated cherries were on sale for $5.99/lb. so I bought some of them also.

Suzette came home hungry, so I opened a package of Shallot and onion Boursin and crackers and heated Vya for a warm drink of vermouth with it as an appetizer and we discussed dinner.

Suzette suggested pasta with a cream sauce with spinach and cranberries to accompany the salmon.  When she opened the salmon she noticed that there was a pronounced thick side and a long thin side, as I had been careful to buy a front belly-sided filet.  Suzette suggested that we fry the thin skinny part and poach the thick sided part separately.  I did not understand exactly what she meant but I agreed and she began to cook and I went to the basement for a bottle of wine.  I decided to chill a bottle of 2010 Leese- Fitch Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc.  

Suzette started a large pot filled with water to a boil and when it boiled added both egg noodles and Italian gemelli macaroni and cooked the pasta while she fixed the fish entrée course.

New Recipe - Salmon two ways:

Suzette melted butter in a large skillet and I chopped ½ onion and the crushed four cloves of garlic into the butter in the skillet and added the onion.  After that sautéed for a couple of minutes she added about 1/3 cup of Sauvignon Blanc and 1/3 cup of water to make a poaching medium and added the thick portions of the filet and ¼ cup of dried cranberries and then covered the skillet to poach the salmon. 

Then Suzette sliced the thin side into thin slices and placed them skin side down in about ¼ inch of heated oil to fry them crisp and then removed them to a paper towel to de-grease..
When the thick fish fillets had poached for about ten minutes Suzette added about 1 cup of cleaned and de-stemmed spinach leaves to the skillet and covered it again to steam the spinach in the poaching medium.  Then she finished the dish by adding about ¼ cup of cream to make a thin cream sauce.

I fetched wine glasses and poured the Sauvignon Blanc and moved the table in front of the fire place so we could be warmed by a fire as we ate dinner.  The salmon two way dish was a success because the two different textures of fresh salmon were delicious and especially nice with the fresh spinach in a cream sauce.  This is not my favorite form of cream sauce.  My favorite cream sauce is béchamel, but I find that Suzette prefers making a cream reduction because it is quicker and does not require another pot and two other steps, which has its advantages, especially after a long day of work.  Also, since Suzette likes cranberries with salmon, the thinner reduction cream sauce lets the cranberries express their flavor a bit more.





Leese-Fitch is a good clean Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc with lots of dry fruit flavor, like a tart apple, and not much of the citrus flavor found in a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc so the wine helps cut through the fat in cream sauces and fish with lots of oil like salmon.  

For dessert we ate a few dark chocolate covered cherries.

Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment