Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 19, 2014 Bratwursts with Braised Cabbage and onions and potatoes

May 19, 2014 Bratwursts with Braised Cabbage and onions and potatoes

            I did not shop today.  Instead I went to the freezer and took out two old bratwursts to go with the cabbage I had bought last Wednesday at Pro’s Ranch Market ($.25/lb.).

            When Suzette arrived I shredded ½ of a head of a medium green cabbage into thin slices and then sliced about 3 Tbps. of onion.  I put these ingredients into a large skillet with about 2 Tbsps. of olive oil and 2 Tbsps. of butter and about 1 Tbsp. ground cumin. I braised the ingredients uncovered while I turned the cabbage to coat it with the oil and butter and then we added two small dice potatoes and cooked the mixture covered for about twenty minutes on low heat.

            Suzette boiled the sausages in water to cook them in a skillet, while I diced an apple and then she removed the water and added butter and the diced apple pieces to the skillet and sautéed the sausages and apples until they browned.

            I made a sauce for the sausages using Long’s horseradish and Grey Poupon Dijon mustard and we ate the sausages with beers and pieces of Middle Eastern pickles.  Suzette had a piece of bread with baba ghanoush, also.





Bon Appétit   

No comments:

Post a Comment