Saturday, May 3, 2014

May 1, 2014 Teriyaki Tuna steak with stir fried chard and water chestnuts.

May 1, 2014 Teriyaki Tuna steak with stir fried chard and water chestnuts.

I went to lunch with Robert Mueller at Azuma.  We both ate Chirashi Donburi and it was delicious as usual.
I stopped at Costco after lunch and picked up two tuna steaks ($13.99/lb.), a bottle of olive oil, a bottle of MacMurray Pinot Gris ($13.99), a 3 lb. jar of chocolate covered almonds, and two loaves of whole grain bread.   I have decided to try to eat whole grain bread from now on.




When I got home I rode ten miles to Montano and then made a teriyaki sauce with sake, aji mirin, soy sauce and a teaspoon of sugar and put one of the tuna steaks into the teriyaki marinade to marinate and then turned it over after a couple of minutes. 

I then went to the garden and picked a basket full of tops from the chard that was growing in profusion.   I de-stemmed the chard leaves and fetched a small can (6 oz.) of sliced water chestnuts.  

Suzette started the grill and I started to stir fry in the wok.  I chopped about 1 Tbsp. of pickled ginger and heated some peanut oil and added ½ tsp. of garlic chili sauce.  Then I added the water chestnuts and then the chard and added about 2 Tbsp. of the marinade and covered the wok with a lid to steam the chard.  In a minute of two the chard started collapsing and Suzette brought in the tuna steak.  She cut the tuna steak in half and plated one-half on each plate and we served ourselves spoonfuls of chard.


Suzette drank a beer with her dinner and I drank cups of green tea. 

We ate chocolate covered almonds for dessert.

Bon Appétit  

No comments:

Post a Comment