Friday, March 21, 2014

March 19, 2014 Grilled Steak, Stir fried Pasta and Mushrooms and Steamed sugar snap peas

March 19, 2014 Grilled Steak, Stir fried Pasta and Mushrooms and Steamed sugar snap peas

I ate my favorite inexpensive lunch at Costco, a Polish Dog ($1.60).  I make it into an open faced sandwich by pulling the bun away from the hot dog and adding liberal amounts of pickle relish, catsup, mustard and onions. 

Here is a side view of one half of the final construct plus a bit of the remaining one-half on the right side of the picture. 


We were busy this evening and had to eat on the run.  I called Suzette during the day and we decided to grill a steak.  I thawed out one of the rib eye steaks bought at Albertson’s last week ($8.99/lb.).  When I returned home from my meeting at around 8:00 p.m. Suzette had put the PPI penne pasta, salmon and sweet potato dish into the wok with sliced of fresh shitake mushroom and was ready to stir fry it.  The steak was seasoned and ready for the grill and Suzette had snapped the ends off of a handful of sugar snap peas I had bought at Talin two weeks ago.

I had opened a bottle of 2007 Pio Cesare Dolcetto d’Alba we bought at Kokoman in Pojoaque in November 2011 for $18.49 when I left for the meeting at 6:00 so it had had about 2 hours to open up.
Neither of us liked the wine.  It seems to have no character and not a lot of fruit and lots of tannins. Suzette thought it tasted okay with the steak and greasy stir fried penne because it cut through the fat and grease, but it was not particularly good alone and it made us question why we had paid $18.49 for it.
 
The steak was perfectly grilled to rare, which is the way Suzette likes it or, as she said. “To make up for overcooking the last steak I grilled.”, which was also about 1 inch thick but a bone-in rib eye that got over cooked to beyond medium.

The browned, stir fried shitake mushrooms were delicious with bites of steak.

After dinner I ate a bowl of vanilla ice cream with some of the PPI Glögg poached pears.




Bon Appétit 

No comments:

Post a Comment