Tuesday, October 29, 2013

October 28, 2013 Grilled Rib Steak with Cottage Fries, steamed Asparagus and sautéed Mushrooms

October 28, 2013 Grilled Rib Steak with Cottage Fries, steamed Asparagus and sautéed Mushrooms

Breakfast was muesli with fresh red grapes and European yogurt from Trader Joe’s
Lunch was the PPI PPI dish of creamed clams, salmon and chicken in pasta from last night’s dinner.

As I walked out the door  for a ride to Paseo at 4:00 I thawed out a steak.

When I returned at 5:30 Suzette was home and watching TV and having her cocktail, so I made what we affectionately describe as a $10.00 Gin and Tonic.  We bought a bottle of Back River Gin at the distillery in Maine this August.  It is considered one of the top 50 gins in the world according to the literature provided at the distillery.  I first made my drink with some Gordon’s and a bottle of Fever Tree Tonic and the drink had a very pleasant tonic taste. But not much gin taste.  Then when I added a little Back River Gin, the drink took on a whole different flavor.  I could taste the complex flavors of the ingredients Back River added during the distillation.  I see why Suzette calls it a $10.00 gin and tonic.   It is not only because the ingredients are top notch, but because the tonic and gin have a very different flavor than its more insipid relative one usually finds at bars.  

When I returned the steak was not thawed, so Suzette ran water on it and then put it in the microwave to thaw.  We discussed dinner and I said I would like to have cottage fries with my steak and we needed to eat the lovely asparagus I bought Sprouts last week ($1.77/lb.).  Suzette asked, “Do you want to sauté some mushrooms?  To which I said, “Yes.” So we swung into action.

I chopped about 1/3 cup of onion and sliced five or six mushrooms and snapped about fifteen stalks of asparagus. Suzette ran a couple of potatoes through the Cuisinart slicing fixture and put them in a pan with butter and olive oil to sauté and prepared the steak for grilling and began soaking a few of the dehydrated Porcini mushrooms we bought in Taos several weeks ago.  I put the asparagus into the steamer and added water to it and put it on the stove.  Then I went to the garden and picked four or five stalks of garlic greens and a sprig of tarragon for the mushrooms and turned on the propane grill.  When I returned I chopped the garlic greens and stripped the leaves from the tarragon stem, put butter and olive oil into a skillet and added the mushrooms, onions, garlic greens and tarragon and porcinis to the skillet and cooked them for about ten minutes, while Suzette was grilling the steak and the potatoes were taking on a deep golden brown color.  When Suzette turned the steak on the grill, I added a dash of Amontillado sherry to the mushrooms and we reduced the heat and started the asparagus steaming.

In another 7 or 8 minutes Suzette brought the steak in and sliced it into 1 inch wide strips on a cutting board.  It was perfectly cooked again to medium rare.  The thin asparagus were cooked and so were the potatoes.  Suzette said, “We need a wine.  I asked her what she wanted to drink and she said a Cabernet Sauvignon, so I went to the basement and picked a 2008 Wellington Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon that had recently arrived with our Wine Club membership shipment.  By the time I got back upstairs Suzette had set the table with sliver, napkins and wine glasses.  I opened the bottle of wine and we filled our plates with a pile of potatoes, a pile of meat garnished with sautéed mushrooms and a seven or eight asparagus and I poured the glasses half full of wine.  Everything was fresh and delicious. 


The 2008 Wellington was really terrific with the steak.  It had a smooth, yet fruity flavor.  We love Wellington’s wines.  Wellington is located near the northern end of Sonoma Valley just south of Glen Ellen and makes really good wines.  We especially like its Mohrhardt Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon. We also like Wellington’s Rhone style whites, such as its Marsanne Sonoma Valley Estate and Roussanne Sonoma County, made with minimal oak in the French style.     You can check out their wines at http://www.wellingtonvineyards.com


 

 
We had cognac and chocolates for dessert as we simultaneously watched Boston beat St. Louis in game five of the World Series and Antiques Roadshow.

Another great dinner.  Since I was raised in Texas, steak is the ultimate comfort food for me or if you want to be trendy, as Luke says, we ate Paleo tonight.

Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment