Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October 21, 2013 Fricasseed Chicken Thighs with Honey Glazed Carrots and baked potatoes and Bananas Foster

October 21, 2013 Fricasseed Chicken Thighs with Honey Glazed Carrots and baked potatoes and Bananas Foster

I filed my Docketing Statement at the Court of Appeals at 4:45 p.m. and then went to Sprouts to shop because they offered asparagus for $1.77/lb.   Besides about two lbs. of asparagus, I also bought  a one lb. piece of fresh salmon ($6.99/lb.), three pork English banger style sausages,  one lb. of Brussels sprouts, and about 2 lb. of red seedless grapes.
Suzette arrived home shortly after me at around 5:45 p.m. from Santa Rosa.  I had made to a snack of two tasted pieces of whole grain bread from Costco spread with creamy Delice cheese and garnished with several slices of the new gravad lax keka salmon which I washed down with a Shiner Oktoberfest beer and a shot of Jubilæeum’s  Akvavit  from Denmark (Aalborg Jubilæums Akvavit) .  Aalborg makes many different flavors of akvavit (flavored vodka) but my favorite if Jubilæums which is flavored with dill and coriander. The one you usually see is Taffel, which is flavored only with cumin.   

Suzette had out a package of four chicken thighs (Costco $2.29/lb.) in the morning to thaw, so they were ready to cook by 6:00 p.m.  
Chicken
Suzette sautéed the thighs in a large skillet with butter and oil while I went to the garden to pick garlic greens, three Japanese sweet peppers and a sprig of tarragon.

When I returned to the house I shopped the peppers and garlic greens and threw them onto the chicken to cook.  Then I sliced about a lb. of carrots Suzette had picked in our garden and she blanched them in water and then added honey and tarragon to them to glaze them.
When the chicken was cooked, Suzette added 2 Tbsps. of the concentrated cream sauce that we had made last week and some of the Vouvray and a cup of heated milk to thin it out and cooked the sauce and chicken some more.

When we started dinner I had fetched a bottle of the new Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc we had bought at Costco yesterday for $9.99 and put it in the freezer to chill.

When the chicken was cooked and the sauce thickened a bit I heated the two potatoes I had baked a few days ago in the microwave oven. 

I sliced the potatoes in half and we plated them with the chicken and sauce and chicken in cream sauce and drank the Sauvignon Blanc.  The wine tasted full bodied and had that California fruity finish that went well with the chicken.

Bananas Foster - After Dinner Suzette said she had a case of bananas in her car.  I offered to make Bananas Foster, so she brought in a bunch.  I sliced two in half heated about 2 Tbsp. of butter in a skillet and then added about ½ cup of light brown sugar and emulsified that into a sauce and then added the bananas.  While the bananas cooked Suzette ladled the last of a carton of vanilla ice cream into two bowls and when that was done, I poured about ¼ cup of rum into the skillet and heated it and when Suzette had the camera ready, I lighted the pan of rum sauce.  It burst into flame and made quite a picture.  When the fire subsided, we spooned the bananas and rum sauce over the ice cream for a wonderful dessert.

 
Bon Appétit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment