Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 26, 2013 Vietnamese Omelet, Mexican pasta, Fish Quesadilla

June 26, 2013  Vietnamese Omelet, Mexican pasta, Fish Quesadilla

I heated the PPI Vietnamese Omelet I had made last night for breakfast.  I enjoyed it with its fried rice flavor much more pronounced than last night when lost in the sea of flavors.
For lunch I wanted something simple with pasta, so I made a dish I had in Mexico on that same fateful 1968 trip I described a couple of days ago about the mummy filled catacombs in Querétaro and the serrano guacamole.  Val and I stayed with a family in Mexico City and one evening la Señora made spaghetti in guacamole sauce that I will never forget because it was so delicious and unusual.   So for lunch today I took a handful of the PPI spaghetti and chopped it into bite sized lengths.
I placed a large scoop of the PPI Calabacitas into the wok and heated it with some olive oil and then added a large scoop of guacamole to it and diced a Roma tomato and cooked that into the mixture for a few minutes to make a pretty fair approximation of the Mexico City spaghetti sauce.  Then I added the chopped pasta and heated the whole mixture until it warmed.  The ozidized discolored guacamole made the sauce look ugly but it tasted amazing, very similar to the recipe I had eaten in Mexico City.
I went to Sprouts at after a 4:00 appointment and bought  peaches for $.49/lb. to make peach and blueberry cobbler, ¾ lb. of fresh Sea Bass (Mexican corvina, $8.99/lb.), two fresh Brats ($2.99/lb.), some lovely white mushrooms ($2.99/lb.), some asparagus ($2.49/lb.), some chocolate covered fruit and nuts ($3.99/lb.).
Tomorrow I will go to Pro’s and buy mangos and perhaps we will make a mango, peach and blueberry cobbler. 
When I returned home at 8:30 after meditation, we were excited to watch all the news shows regarding the Supreme Court DOMA and Prop 8 decisions and Wendy Davis’ filibuster in the Texas Senate against the Republican majority’s anti-abortion clinic legislation, so we did not want to cook much.  I could not come up with an idea, but Suzette asked, "Shall we make a fish quesadilla or tacos?"  After she explained again that we had PPI fish stew, I said, “Yes, I would love a fish quesadilla.”
So Suzette, as the official quesadilla maker, took over in the kitchen.  She took two large burrito sized flour tortillas and the container of PPI fish stew out of the fridge and heated the fish stew in a skillet to reduce some of its sauciness.  Then she heated the two tortillas in a large iron skillet to toast them a bit, while I shredded some Pecorino Romano cheese.  She flipped the tortillas’ toasted sides up and ladled the fish mixture onto one of the toasted tortillas and added the cheese and then laid the other tortilla toasted side down on top of the fish and cheese mixture and toasted the outsides of the tortillas and heated and melted the cheese into the fish mixture.  I fetched two beers from the fridge.  Suzette likes crema and avocado on her quesadilla and we did not have any crema, so she mixed some mango yogurt with the guacamole to make a thick mango guacamole cream sauce and we were ready to eat.
She cut the Quesadilla in half and then each half into thirds and put three slices on each plate and we each scooped the mango guacamole sauce onto our plates and made lovely plates of fish quesadilla with mango guacamole cream sauce. 

We watched the Colbert Report and Jon Stewart Show (I enjoy John Oliver's wonderful, amazed Brit outsider take on U.S. news) coverage of the events of the day starting at 9:00 p.m. and then went to bed happy and full.   I do think that the DOMA decision that found that the U.S. (DOMA legislation) could treat same sex couples whose marriages were sanctioned in their state of residence, could not be treated differently from other married persons is a historically significant decision.  It reinforces America’s commitment to the equality of all persons under the law.

Bon Appétit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment