Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 19, 2013 Lunch Chirashi Donburi Dinner Grilled Halibut and Asparagus with Fried Rice with

June 19, 2013 Lunch Chirashi Donburi  Dinner Grilled Halibut and Asparagus with Fried Rice with Kales

I went to Azuma and had my usual, excellent Chirashi Donburi with all my favorite fish, Yellowtail, Red (maguro) Tuna, Super White Tuna, Salmon, and Octopus.
 
Then I went to Sprouts and found that they were featuring fresh halibut for $10.99/lb., so I bought a bit over a pound.  I also bought white mushrooms, an eggplant, asparagus ($2.49/lb.), tomatoes ($.88/lb.), salted pistachios ($4.99/lb.), and decaffeinated Columbian Coffee ($6.99/lb.).

When Suzette arrived she asked if we were going to grill the lamb ribs and I said, “Only if you do not want fresh halibut.”  So while I worked she started the grill and fetched a bag of scapes from the garage fridge and placed a bed of scapes under the halibut on a vegetable grilling pan to keep it from sticking to the grill and to impart a bit of flavor to the fish and to grill the scapes, as the garlic man suggested. 
 
Then she cut and oiled the stalks of asparagus we had bought at Costco and I went to the garden and picked and de-stemmed three kinds of kale and minced a shallot and two white mushrooms, and a stalk of spring garlic and stir fried them with some PPI white rice in a wok with peanut oil, and sesame oil and 2 Tbsp. of Chinese rice cooking wine and a bit of soy sauce and then added the kale and combined the kale with the rice.
Suzette went to the basement and fetched a bottle of 2012 Geyser Peak Winery Sauvignon Blanc from Geyserville, Alexander Valley, Sonoma County, California that I bought at Costco for $7.79 on June 11, 2013.  I did not realize it until I read the back label, but Geyser Peak Winery was founded in 1880, which makes it one of the oldest in California.   Geyser Peak’s Sauvignon Blanc has a huge lemony, grapefruit citrus flavor and also is very fruity; quite nice with the fresh halibut and grilled asparagus.   If you want a strongly citrus flavored Sauvignon Blanc, the 2012 Geyser Peak is your best choice for the money.   Its strong citrus flavor is a bit over the top for me, but it is different and wonderful in its own way.

Suzette prepared the asparagus the way they were prepared for us in Segovia 2 years ago; rolled in olive oil and grilled over an open flame, so they have a charbroiled and hot olive oil taste.
 

I loved the three kinds of kale in the rice and am particularly fond of the tender leaves of the baby Chinese kale.
Just another lovely fresh dinner on the patio looking at our garden grow.
 
 
 
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment