Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 11, 2013 Lunch- Crumpackers, Santa Fe

June 11, 2013 Lunch- Crumpackers, Santa Fe

I had to go to Santa Fe for a real estate closing that took me to a less populated area on the east frontage road of I-25 across from the racetrack just south of its junction with the 599 By-pass and Cerrillos Road (South 14).  At noon we wanted to get some lunch.  I suggested La Choza.  So we jumped in my client, Josefo’s, truck and he started driving us north toward Santa Fe.  When we arrived at 599 he turned right and then north onto Cerrillos Road, I realized that we did not have enough time to drive to La Choza and eat a leisurely lunch and return to the property in time for our scheduled 1:00 meeting.  So after we passed the U.S. Forest Service Headquarters and came upon a small commercial development on the east side of Hwy 14 across from the Santa Fe Brewery, where I remembered eating at a small Mexican restaurant, I asked Josefo to turn into the development.  As soon as we turned into the development I spied the Crumpackers Café and Bakeshop on the right and got that intuitive feeling that we needed to try it, mainly because I did not have a happy memory of the Mexican restaurant.  So Josefo turned into the parking lot and we went in.

Crumpackers

Phone 505.471.0226
5 Bisbee Ct #108 Santa Fe, New Mexico 87508

 The restaurant was well lighted and airy with about fifteen tables and an open kitchen and counter and pastry display cabinet. 
 

 

 
  We went to the counter to order.  There were a number of Daily Specials on the chalk board at the end of the counter and I saw one was a Daily Soup, so I asked, “What is the daily special?”  When I received the answer, “Rabbit Stew” I knew I was not in an ordinary sandwich shop.  So I ordered a Grilled Reuben Sandwich ($8.25 which included the choice of two sides).  When I looked at the menu of the sides I saw that quinoa vegetable salad was one of the choices, so I selected that and then I saw that the Daily Soup was also a Side choice and selected that but asked how much more was a bowl and was told $2.25, so I ordered a bowl of Rabbit Stew.

While we waited many people came into the restaurant and lots of interesting and beautiful sandwiches were being served, one was a huge Hoagie style sandwich on a large slice of baguette.  When our order arrived the Reuben Sandwich was beautifully prepared with what appeared to be melted brie cheese and fresh sauerkraut and what appeared to be Boar’s Head corned beef with a large scoop of quinoa vegetable salad creatively nestled in a bowl shaped leaf of Iceberg lettuce.  The quinoa were small white kernels and the vegetables included diced haricot verte, bell pepper, jicama, cucumber and lots more vegetables that were colorful and the delicious salad was not ruined by a heavy dressing, allowing the quinoa and vegetables to dominate the visual and taste space.  


 
But the real winner was the rabbit stew.  The man who was obviously the owner had come to the counter when we ordered and when I asked where they buy their rabbit, he answered in a foreign accent, “We are at the Farmer’s Market and we buy free range rabbit at the market.”
 
The Rabbit Soup or Stew included large pieces of rabbit flesh, potatoes, carrots, celery and onions floating in a clear broth obviously made from the rabbit bones and carcass after the meat was removed.  It was clear dark and flavorful.  I loved it and even had a Déjà Vu memory of the last time I was startled by a good rabbit dish.  It was in a small town in Northern Spain not far south of San Sebastian where the Madrid to France highway winds through mountain valleys.  We were tired and hungry after driving inches away from thousands of huge trucks on narrow mountainous highways for hours, so we stopped for lunch when  saw a small town along a winding river just off the main road.  Suzette and I parked the car near the center of the town and went to a travel agency and asked what restaurant they recommended.  They directed us to a small restaurant down the street.  When we walked into the restaurant, we walked past the darkened bar in the front and down a hallway to the dining room in the back that was filled with people.  In Spain most restaurants offer what is called a Comida for lunch, which includes an appetizer or soup or salad and then an entrée with vegetables and bread or rolls with either wine or beer and then a dessert for a set price.  Comida at small restaurants like this one are usually under €15.  We asked what the entrée choices were and when one of them was “Conejo”, we immediately said, “conejo (rabbit)”.  That was the last time I was startled by how good a simple dish made with rabbit can be.  Crumpackers achieved that level of wonderfulness.
Its Reuben sandwich was perfectly prepared and grilled to golden brown, but I could not finish both it and the bowl of Rabbit Stew, so the management gladly wrapped my unfinished half of the sandwich to go. 


 
One ordering note.  Josefo and I both agreed that his cup of soup contained the same amount or more soup than my bowl, so note, what Crumpacker uses for their cups of soup are what other restaurants call a bowl, so when you order a sandwich choose the cup of soup and you will only sacrifice the two pieces of bread served with the bowl of soup, which are superfluous anyway.  See the pictures and judge for yourself.

 

Needless to say a restaurant reviewer finding a new wonderful restaurant is like a gold prospector finding a large nugget of gold.  It doesn’t happen very often and it is wonderful when it does occur.
Crumpacker’s is the real deal, freshly baked interesting breads, creative cooking and superbly fresh local ingredients from the Farmer’s Market at reasonable prices.  And it is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I highly recommend it.          

After completing my transaction I stopped at Casa Abril Wineyards and Winery and said hello to owner, Raymond Vigil, who told me the tasting room is open Thursday through Sunday and that last year’s harvest was really good and the Malbec was exceptional.  I can’t wait to go back and taste it.  I really like Casa Abril’s tempranillo and think it is wonderful if it also has a good malbec now.  The vines looked very healthy, although Raymond said the late cold spring caused the vines to have a late start.   

Bon Appétit   

No comments:

Post a Comment