Thursday, February 21, 2013

February 20, 2013 Lunch – Café Trang; Dinner – Chinese Stir Fry with Baby Bok Choy and Frog Legs

February 20, 2013 Lunch – Café Trang; Dinner – Chinese Stir Fry with Baby Bok Choy and Frog Legs

I did not eat any breakfast so when it became necessary to meet Nizar to discuss the land in California, I called him around 11:00 and he said we would need to go to lunch early because of a doctor’s appointment with his wife at 12:45 p.m.  So I drove to Café Trang but was run into by a car turning left from the right lane at Buena Vista and Coal.  Thankfully, the damage from the hit was light only breaking the front right headlight, so I still made it to Café Trang ahead of Nizar, who arrived about four or five minutes after me.  We each ordered our usual; Nizar ordered chicken soup with vermicelli rice noodles and I ordered No. 21 Pho with rare beef and beef meatballs.  We had a good meeting.  It seems that large hedge funds are vying with each other to acquire leases on telecommunication towers and we have one on our land in Green Valley in California that they want, which may allow us to sell our lease and pay off most, or all, of our mortgage on the land.  Yeah!
As I paid for the meal I noticed beside the cash register a posted newspaper article listing the best oriental restaurants in Albuquerque that had awarded Café Trang first prize for Pho that made me feel even better about my $7.50 medium bowl of Pho.
After lunch I went to Ta Lin to buy a few things.  There was fresh Atlantic farm raised salmon, so I bought a 1 lb. steak ($5.95/lb.) from a large king salmon.  I also bought a bag of baby bok choy (now $1.39/lb.), several nice looking shallots (now $1.49/lb.), two fresh ginger root stems (still $.99/lb.) and a package of brown beech mushrooms ($1.79).  Unfortunately, what I really needed was peanut oil and its price has gone through the roof.  I finally decided upon a 5 liter bottle for $43.85.  Yuuch! I bought it anyway, because I would not know how to make Chinese food without it.
Suzette chose not to drive to Santa Rosa because of the winter storm forecasts and she returned from her trip to Edgewood and Moriarty to market the upcoming quilt show in Santa Rosa at around 4:00, which is when Willy returned from work.  Suzette had not eaten lunch and was hungry so she heated the PPI Scallops in chayote, tomatillo, and Mexican squash stew with the last of the PPI Bulghar rice.  Suzette said that it reminded her of real Mexican food, so I tasted the dish and it was wonderful, creamy from the pureed tomatillo with great squash flavor. 
Willy toasted Kommisarbrod and spread peanut butter and honey on the toast for a light snack.  I joined him and had one also. 
Neither Suzette nor Willy was hungry or wanting to cook dinner, so at 8:00 p.m. after a fascinating PBS Nature program on the cleverness of crows, I decided to make a light dinner.  I saw that we had PPI rice, so I decided to make a light stir fried dish like I used to make when I lived alone from 1971 to 1975 in Fort Worth.  I used to section and freeze individual portions of meat and make a pot of brown rice once a week and buy fresh vegetables as I needed them; ginger, onions, and garlic not so often and other vegetables fresh every few days. 
I realized that is what I had done at Ta Lin today.  I had bought fresh baby bok choy, ginger and shallots and mushrooms.  So I minced two shallots, 1 Tbsp. of fresh ginger, three cloves of garlic and cut up three baby bok choy, separating the white portion from the green and putting the white portion with the shallots, ginger, and mushrooms.  I then deboned about 3 Tbsp. of frog leg meat and put it with the green leaves of the bok choy.
Then I heated the wok with 1 ½ Tbsp. of peanut oil and a dash of sesame oil and put about ¾ cup of rice in a pasta bowl and heated it in the microwave, which was a bad idea, because the soft earthenware bowl cracked from thermal shock.  I also heated some water.
When the oil was hot I added the hard ingredients and stir fried them for a few minutes until they began to soften.  Then I added the green leaves and frog legs and added 1 Tbsp. of rice cooking and 1 ½ tsp. of mushroom soy and stirred the ingredients and covered the wok, so things could steam.  I fetched the heated rice and brewed a cup of green tea with the hot water from the kettle and then ladled the stir fried dish over the rice.  I had not added any thickener because there was so little liquid in the dish that it held together quite well.  If I had wanted to make a saucy dish I could have added more liquid such as chicken stock and then thickened the dish with cornstarch, but that was two additional steps that I did not care to take, because speed and ease and fresh was my goal tonight.
I was full after eating about ½ of the dish, so I put the rest in the fridge for my morning breakfast or lunch.  One of my favorite dishes is to make a kind of fried rice egg foo young by adding egg to fried rice and a stir fry dish, which is aided by the lack of a thickened sauce.  The beauty of this dish was that I already had the first two steps completed: the fried rice with the stir fried rice so I only had to add the egg whisked with a little soy and cooking wine for a quick delicious egg foo young.   The beech mushrooms are fun to cook because they hold their shape and are small and give the dish a beautiful appearance with small mushrooms sticking up everywhere.
I lived on this type of diet for several years and was in the best shape of my life, so I recommend it; especially for a professional person with a demanding work schedule living alone.
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment