Friday, February 15, 2013

February 14, 2013 Lunch – Vinaigrette; Dinner - PPI MaPo Dofu and Stir Fried Chinese Broccoli

February 14, 2013 Lunch – Vinaigrette; Dinner - PPI MaPo Dofu and Stir Fried Chinese Broccoli

Willy and I met my old boss, Mrs. Barbara Page for lunch at Vinaigrette.  I realized that it was Valentine’s Day when we arrived at noon and found the restaurant filled with people.  After ten minutes we were seated and ordered lunch.  Barbara ordered the Mushroom Stew and Willy ordered the combo of an avocado salad and a sandwich.  I ordered my usual French Bistro Salad with frisée and extra lardons (fried julienned bacon strips) topped with a poached egg. 
Unfortunately, today the bacon used for the lardons was exceptionally fatty.  I did not know what to do.  I would have normally sent it back for proper bacon, but the restaurant was so busy that I could not in good conscience do that, so I surgically removed most of the fat and ate it, even though the extra bacon grease made the salad overly fatty.  I asked for the elimination of the $2.00 charge for extra lardons, but the staff only reduced the bill by $1.00.  Alas, too many people to get good service from the kitchen and wait staff.
Suzette was late because the Greenhouse Bistro and Bakery was full for dinner also, with two seatings; one at 5:30 p.m. and one at 7:30 p.m.  Willy and I nibbled on baked tortilla tostados I had made and PPI guacamole as I prepped three cups of Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lin?) I had bought at Ta Lin last week.
Chinese Broccoli has a smaller head, more leaves and a thinner stalk than our American variety.  I made a cup of rice and quartered the stalks so they could be stir fried while placing the leaves and heads into a separate colander so they could be introduced later in the cooking process.  I also minced and added 1 Tbsp. of ginger, 1 Tbsp. of garlic, 3 Tbsp. of sliced red onion and two sliced shitake mushrooms to the stalks, so they would cook longer and flavor the entire dish.
 
Suzette came home about 7:30 p.m. and we began cooking.  I heated the wok and added 2 Tbsp. of peanut oil and a dash of sesame oil and then stir fried the broccoli stalks.  When the stalks and onions softened, I added the leaves and heads and then poured some rice cooking wine, soy sauce and sesame oil and threw a ½ tsp. of salt and ½ tsp. of sugar into the wok and stirred it and covered it so it could steam.  Suzette heated the Ma Po Dofu in the microwave while I made a thickening sauce of 1 Tbsp. of soy, 1 Tbsp. of rice cooking wine, a dash of sesame oil, 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and about 1/4 cup of water.  After the vegetables had steamed for a few minutes and softened, I poured in the thickening sauce and stirred the vegetables.  The sauce was too thick and clotted into a sticky mess, so I added more water, a little at a time, until the sauce was loose and shiny.
We then plated up rice, MaPo Dofu, and Chinese Broccoli.  Willy and I drank green tea and Suzette drank a beer.  We all liked the dark green Chinese Broccoli in its velvety light brown sauce.
 
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment